Who has rebuilt their own shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've rebuilt a few gen 1 shocks and just started my first gen 2 (non live valve) set today and had a few questions. I thought they'd be similar to the Gen 1s but i'm finding some key differences.

Rear Shocks
1. The IFP does not have a threaded hole so the only way to remove it, is to remove the reservoir tube and push it out the bottom. Can you clamp the end cap and use a strap wrench to spin the tube? Or do you clamp the tube and try to spin the end cap? Both ways will be very challenging. I wouldn't have expected it to be so difficult to remove the IFP.
2. With no way to push or pull the IFP how to you bleed the system after adding fluid? On the Gen 1s you would thread a rod into the IFP and work it up and down to remove any air pockets. Also you would set the height about 1/4" from the bottom after working out the air bubbles. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this on the Gen 2s.

Anyone have any insights or care to share any secrets?