Which twin turbo system should I put in my 2013?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
KSCARGUY, I'd also be in for a reliable turbo setup, everyone on this site is so quick to jump all over sc nuts because plenty of them have been done and proven. That's cool and all, but that sort of logic leads to stagnation and a lack of innovation. Having owned Turbo, Supercharged, and Nitrous applications on different vehicles, my preference for fun factor is hands down turbo any day of the week. Not knocking any other option, they are all fun.

Not true. The issue with a solid TT setup is trying to retain the full off-road capabilities, unless it'll just be a pavement pounder.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there are plenty of dedicated offroad platforms that are turbo'd. As I said I'd be in for a "RELIABLE" turbo setup, I think that addresses your concern for retaining all capabilities.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
there are plenty of dedicated offroad platforms that are turbo'd. As I said I'd be in for a "RELIABLE" turbo setup, I think that addresses your concern for retaining all capabilities.

Reliability can be used in different terms; by saying I want a "RELIABLE" turbo setup, to me, says I want the engine to still be reliable, but nothing about not interfering with anything else.

Yes, there are plenty of dedicated off-road turbo setups, which also have fiberglass everything and the setup was built around everything else. Where as putting a system on the Raptor, you're having to deal with what's already there, unless your plan is to go absolutely crazy with it.

I won't even get into the cost difference.

But, remember, a TT kit would be badass, but the other components can only hold up to so much power before they go too.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Reliability can be used in different terms; by saying I want a "RELIABLE" turbo setup, to me, says I want the engine to still be reliable, but nothing about not interfering with anything else.

Yes, there are plenty of dedicated off-road turbo setups, which also have fiberglass everything and the setup was built around everything else. Where as putting a system on the Raptor, you're having to deal with what's already there, unless your plan is to go absolutely crazy with it.

I won't even get into the cost difference.

But, remember, a TT kit would be badass, but the other components can only hold up to so much power before they go too.

These are all true statements, I think that hellion has a good start, however I'd still like to see pictures of the downpipe and have some real evidence that the manifolds can handle the job of holding the turbos in place while dealing with the abuse that we put these trucks through. Turbos will inherently cost more, that should be said or understood upfront, but I F'N love the feeling of turbos spooling up. More testing is necessary, I really hope people start testing the waters on this though.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
These are all true statements, I think that hellion has a good start, however I'd still like to see pictures of the downpipe and have some real evidence that the manifolds can handle the job of holding the turbos in place while dealing with the abuse that we put these trucks through. Turbos will inherently cost more, that should be said or understood upfront, but I F'N love the feeling of turbos spooling up. More testing is necessary, I really hope people start testing the waters on this though.

We did some performance software, exhaust, and CAI on a 2013 M5.... it was DANGEROUSLY fast and the power band was NUTS.

I'm a turbo fan as well, but I think there is a whole lot more R&D to do, and I'm not sure if anyone will invest the time/dollars on a platform that has now been bounced and Raptor tax would be insane for a true bolt-on kit.

Then again, I was an old Kenne Bell guy in my Cobra days, so I may sway towards the SC's a bit, but dollar to power yields the better result for a SC on the Raptor.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just don't get the school girl giggles the same way with a sc as I do with the way the power comes on with a turbo. I'm really hoping that @englishrodder will provide some feedback on his kit.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread on a Superduty that had a TT kit on it?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm all for FA, any kind. But the software and PCM for the Raptors 6.2L and then add the stupid nannies, will always be a big challenge for centrifugal systems. Especially off roading.
Having said that, the new TT (ecoboost) Raptor has obviously revamp the whole PCM and software. Then coupled with a 10 speed transmission seems to have solve the inherent nature of spool up lag turbos have.Well at least what we have seen written to date.

Last edited:

englishrodder

Reaction score
I just don't get the school girl giggles the same way with a sc as I do with the way the power comes on with a turbo. I'm really hoping that @englishrodder will provide some feedback on his kit.

Sorry been crazy at work and haven't come on the forum for a few weeks!
The Hellion kit is built very well, it is a rite pain in the ass to fit everything though and definitely needs the off road Y-pipe to free up performance and spooling time.
Link to some info here on HP - we made 643RWHP
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/my-hellion-twin-turbo-raptor-643rwhp-40581/

Now i havent been without issues, the rocker cover PCV set up routes the pipes into the air-filters - even with modest boost (anything over 5 PSI) we were sucking in a ton of vapour into the combustion cycle that was then creating havoc on the fuel map etc
That was fixed by moving to a dual Moroso catch can set up - that i just empty on a regular basis.

Getting the best out of the tune has been challenging, I didnt use the tune that went with the kit but worked with Rob Williams to build a custom tune - this has taken 3-4 sessions to get correct. We had issues with it actually spooling up too fast the controling the transmission shifts - a lot of work went into getting the trans to react fast enough.

Ive had problems with the Turbo's themselves, both seals went on them as well after only 3 months and about 1500 miles - this wasnt due to dust or intake issues as we can see (Unless it was impacted by the PCV issue...maybe??)

As for how sturdy are the mountings, Ive taken it off-road twice at speed and once over a ton of rocky sections we have here in CO.

Ive added the TSS oil pump gears and adding a new drive shaft this weekend. Plus the AFE deep pan for the trans and will add a remove cooler (In the bed somehere as no room up front now)

Its a serious blast to drive, on Boost she is a killing machine, but best of all on the highway at 75 at only 1PSI with normal driving i get nearly 15mpg!! - best of both worlds

Hope this helps
Will get some more pics next week after fitting the new Turbos with good seals!

Thanks
David