Where to get my windshield replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys
I would never have Safelite replace a windshield in any decent vehicle. They typically use an aftermarket glass that is on the lower end of glass, as they work with the insurers that are all about the cheapest price. Any vehicle that has a camera must use OEM glass... that is for Calibration. Next, Safelites calibration is not OEM.... Fight your insurer to use OEM glass, Ford has a position statement requiring OEM glass -- especially for front camera calibration....

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dealership replace mine. But they have Safelite do all their windshields. They are tricky so having someone that does that work full time is not a bad idea. They actually replaced mine with no chips under warranty. The glass these days really sucks. There is still crap in the lamination but the new windshield is 80% better than it was.

Only issue is they did not use the right gel or it did not cure where they stuck the old wiper sensor back on, it started oozing down and dripped on dash a few weeks later. I made them buy me a new sensor under warranty and new one came with the gel pack, then I just clipped it in for them.

Last edited:

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys
I would never have Safelite replace a windshield in any decent vehicle. They typically use an aftermarket glass that is on the lower end of glass,

See my post above. When this was replaced under warranty all they use is Ford glass. Especially with 802A option, dont know if any glass other than Ford is available.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys
I would never have Safelite replace a windshield in any decent vehicle. They typically use an aftermarket glass that is on the lower end of glass, as they work with the insurers that are all about the cheapest price. Any vehicle that has a camera must use OEM glass... that is for Calibration. Next, Safelites calibration is not OEM.... Fight your insurer to use OEM glass, Ford has a position statement requiring OEM glass -- especially for front camera calibration....
Blah blah blah blah blah. Stop talking out of your ass. As I said in my post, if you specify you want OEM glass safelite will get you OEM glass. And FYI OEM was only like $60 more than non OEM. As for calibration, more BS on your part - they use the same system ford does to calibrate the camera.

Chris retired grunt

Reaction score
I used Binswanger don’t know if I spelled that right. State Farm paid for it with my 100 deductible. They said that I would have to take to dealership to calibrate the lane avoidance system, but after driving awhile it worked just fine. Don’t use it anyway.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
varies from state to state.

Ford has a position statement requiring OEM glass -- especially for front camera calibration....

got a link?

it was +$200 for OEM Raptor glass in VA and +$300 more for gorilla glass
I called around and it was remarkably consistent in price. Safelite was competitive, neither most nor least expensive. glass was $300. OEM glass was $500, gorilla glass was $800. this was about 2 months ago.