What would you do? Low MPG on new to me Gen 2.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

relic217

Reaction score
Update: I've gone through a few tanks since the fix. I also switched out to a K&N air filter. My MPGs are the same.

I'll be swapping out sparking plugs in prep for a GooseTuned tune, maybe that will help a little.

Wanted to report in. Thank you everyone for your contributions.

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I've gone through a few tanks since the fix. I also switched out to a K&N air filter. My MPGs are the same.

I'll be swapping out sparking plugs in prep for a GooseTuned tune, maybe that will help a little.

I just finished reading the thread, I drive my Raptor pretty hard, 75-77 mph on the highway, 37's, I get on it quite a bit, the lowest I've seen is 13.9 , pretty close to sea level

OP
OP
R

relic217

Reaction score
I just finished reading the thread, I drive my Raptor pretty hard, 75-77 mph on the highway, 37's, I get on it quite a bit, the lowest I've seen is 13.9 , pretty close to sea level
This makes it interesting.... I'm doing a lot of regular city driving right now and I am down to high 12s. I use Normal mode and don't really get it on it. I feel like this is too low, but no clue what to try to do about it aside from what's been posted.
I haven't done spark plugs so will do that and see I suppose.

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This makes it interesting.... I'm doing a lot of regular city driving right now and I am down to high 12s. I use Normal mode and don't really get it on it. I feel like this is too low, but no clue what to try to do about it aside from what's been posted.
I haven't done spark plugs so will do that and see I suppose.
That's really strange and, I'm sure, very frustrating. I keep the pressures low in the tires as well, 34 in the front and 32 in the rear. Fingers crossed the plugs help you out, I'll keep an eye on this thread

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score

Just anecdotal, not scientific or anything, but I HAVE tracked it for 3 years....

Of course I drive a Gen 1, but I get WAYYYY better gas mileage when I add a can of SeaFoam to my gas tank when I fill up every 2 or 3 tanks. I don't know if it lubes the cylinders or what, but if I went for 2 months without adding it, I would be down to 9.5 or 10 mpg. With it I get a minimum of 11.5 mpg around town and anywhere from 13-15 on a long trip. They say you can pour it into your oil fill too, but I've never done that. I figure for $8 a can once every 6 weeks or so, can't hurt. And I've tracked the results I've mention for 3 years. Just an idea.

OP
OP
R

relic217

Reaction score
Ok party people. Just finished a full tank on the new plugs. 80% highway and super light-footed driving. 13 mpg.
Warranty is up in March so gonna bring it in for engine check.
I totally understand this is a performance truck and I definitely did not buy it for the MPGs, but based on a lot of input here and others' reported MPG something doesn't seem right. I am not confident the dealer will find anything, but worth shot. Before I start in on intercooler, tunes, etc I want to get a good baseline established.