What California's New ECU Law Means for Tuned Cars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol California.

How do people still live there? Must be the sun and free Vaccines..
Well I make alot more $ Ca than I do other states, alot of other people do as well. I'm from Ca but glad I moved, I get anxiety every time I have to go for work. Which will be in the next two weeks I'm sure...

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so you can be sharing the road with other drivers who have very possibly never checked their brakes, tires, tire pressure, possibly never even lifted the hood since purchase, but you do have breezy bi-annual smog checks. It’s like MD then. Lifetime inspection in MD and it’s obvious where the term rust bucket came from.
Don't f'n matter when their nose is buried in their phone though- does it? When you never even hit the brakes prior to rear ending someone, it doesn't matter if they work.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The law is starting to catch up with some of the stupid. High profile deaths like the ones caused by Bill Janklow, former congressman with a heavy foot have helped hold people accountable for $hithead moves. It wasn’t too long ago you could be DUI, injure or kill someone and get off with a license suspension or revocation, some fines and no time. Now we’re seeing folks (who aren’t LE) charged with homicide of some sort for stupid driving tricks.

but yeah, you’re right. if they’re dumb enough to text and drive, not much is going to help them or keep them from eventually colliding with something they shouldn’t.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here in Los Angeles drivers actually think it is required to text while driving. It's absolutely insane.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Los Angeles drivers actually think it is required to text while driving. It's absolutely insane.
Every time I come through LA I can't decide if it's scarier to be the one driving, or take my chances with an Uber. Even driving I feel helpless with so many stupid drivers surrounding me. Just kinda pray jesus takes the wheel when in the Uber LOL

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find slow or bad driving is commonly a result of texting(phone related), an elderly person, or someone just got off the boat. Sad but true.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s no better in other places, really. I’ve seen it on the A-bahn, --at speed-- mind you, not dawdling. I got a picture years back -as a passenger- of a guy on a Kawa Concours on the interstate texting on his phone.
Every time I come through LA I can't decide if it's scarier to be the one driving, or take my chances with an Uber. Even driving I feel helpless with so many stupid drivers surrounding me. Just kinda pray jesus takes the wheel when in the Uber LOL
I’ve been frightened a few times as both driver and passenger but more times as a passenger. In HS when my slightly younger g/f got her license (after 3 failed attempts) - it was obvious why. A buddy picked some friends and me up for a ride, he was wasted drunk and we all convinced him to stop on the shoulder and let us out. Another friend took my wife and me through the Arc de Triumphe roundabout in Paris - in a manual transmission with auto stop/start no less. Masterfully done. I will say the Philly cab driver definitely impressed me with his take no prisoners, ‘fix it with the gas pedal’ approach to navigating crowded city streets.

I’ve ridden motorcycles over 8 Alps passes, including st. Gotthards 2 up. In the rain ; and ridden Mad Sunday on the Isle of Man. It takes a solid effort to instill me with fear in or on a motor vehicle ;-)
I find slow or bad driving is commonly a result of texting(phone related), an elderly person, or someone just got off the boat. Sad but true.
I am having trouble finding disagreement with the above.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd also like to add all the drivers of the disposable Pontiacs that are still on the road, Ford Ranger drivers, and Dodge Ram drivers.