Van Life vs Truck Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Turbo_lander

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sprinter or Raptor. You’re seriously asking this question?

if airbnb is the plan, you won’t need a special vehicle for this. if you’re selling it all and hitting the road, I’d say up-fit the Rap with storage option you can use to haul your luggage, etc.

You don’t want some peasant van to travel in!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it’s bad enough you suggest traveling in a van... you seriously expect folks to watch a van video?
:snoopfacepalm:

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You, your wife and two big dogs in a Raptor or a van together for a year with no where to escape for alone time! That sound like a disaster about to happen. I say sell everything, your house, your belongings, your wife, your dogs ....Take the money and go to Bahamas. But that's just me!!!

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider with a van, if it has a bathroom (even if just a porta *****) it can qualify as a second home and you can write off the interest paid on a car loan on your taxes. In fact, if you sell your house to buy the van, it would count as your primary residence and you could even roll it with capital gains to save those taxes. Just some thoughts, I am not a tax professional, but are neck deep in similar with an RV we recently purchased.

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting… Keep us posted and give us the link to you’re YouTube when you start. Best of luck…
My two cents says start with the truck and see how it works out…

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The real answer is you basically need an HD truck that you don’t have to be concerned about overloading & could tow a camper down the road w/ ease should this turn into longer term plan, but in meantime you could have a significantly higher payload capacity & volume w/ a longer bed which would come in handy w/ a tent setup on top.

a RAM Cummins w/ long bed & megacab is the ticket...or a how bout a super duty tremor w/ that sweet 6.7 diesel....

the size of those megacab long bed rams is impressive

OP
OP
Turbo_lander

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real answer is you basically need an HD truck that you don’t have to be concerned about overloading & could tow a camper down the road w/ ease should this turn into longer term plan, but in meantime you could have a significantly higher payload capacity & volume w/ a longer bed which would come in handy w/ a tent setup on top.

a RAM Cummins w/ long bed & megacab is the ticket...or a how bout a super duty tremor w/ that sweet 6.7 diesel....

the size of those megacab long bed rams is impressive
If I did larger truck I would just go with the Van. I think if I go with icon stage 3 leafts and upgrade shocks I should be fine for the weight we will carry.
Another thing to consider with a van, if it has a bathroom (even if just a porta *****) it can qualify as a second home and you can write off the interest paid on a car loan on your taxes. In fact, if you sell your house to buy the van, it would count as your primary residence and you could even roll it with capital gains to save those taxes. Just some thoughts, I am not a tax professional, but are neck deep in similar with an RV we recently purchased.
Intresting, never even thought of that on the taxes! Thanks for the heads up!
You, your wife and two big dogs in a Raptor or a van together for a year with no where to escape for alone time! That sound like a disaster about to happen. I say sell everything, your house, your belongings, your wife, your dogs ....Take the money and go to Bahamas. But that's just me!!!
We have been married for 18 years so we have pretty much been through it all. Besides we will only be in the truck or van between Air BNBs which as I am planning out our route wont be longer than 7-9 hours drive time.

OP
OP
Turbo_lander

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting… Keep us posted and give us the link to you’re YouTube when you start. Best of luck…
My two cents says start with the truck and see how it works out…
I will for sure, it will be March or April of next year before we head out. Got to get all our affairs in order before we get going. Pretty exicted!

Lilla Kharn

Namaste
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m currently living in my raptor. I work 12 hours away from where I have my mailing address and I live alone. If I had a wife and dogs, I would absolutely not do it in a raptor or RTT.

Alone, the raptor is great but it does have its drawbacks in comparison to a van. And you’ll be living in Airbnb’s? I’m not sure I understand why you’d want to do that.

The van would certainly be a lot easier to live out of and park anywhere. You can park in a parking lot and not worry about anything. There’s enough room for me and my clothes and essentials in the truck. There’s not room for someone else’s permanent stuff and two dogs. Unless you’re going to live as monks, I highly highly recommend you try it before you sell the house. There’s a TON that goes into it that you won’t think about until you do it.

OP
OP
Turbo_lander

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m currently living in my raptor. I work 12 hours away from where I have my mailing address and I live alone. If I had a wife and dogs, I would absolutely not do it in a raptor or RTT.

Alone, the raptor is great but it does have its drawbacks in comparison to a van. And you’ll be living in Airbnb’s? I’m not sure I understand why you’d want to do that.

The van would certainly be a lot easier to live out of and park anywhere. You can park in a parking lot and not worry about anything. There’s enough room for me and my clothes and essentials in the truck. There’s not room for someone else’s permanent stuff and two dogs. Unless you’re going to live as monks, I highly highly recommend you try it before you sell the house. There’s a TON that goes into it that you won’t think about until you do it.
We would primarly live in Air BNBs (or short term rental) 4-6 weeks at a time. The reason is my wife works remotely she needs a good work space. Van or truck working remotely for her would be tough. My question is for traveling between points which would make more sense?