Rotor Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have your front rotors been lasting? I bought the power stop full kit with carbon/ceramic pads and rotors in 2017. Replaced rotors with the same ones in 2021 but went with oem pads. Now I'm starting to get some shaking under hard braking now so feels like i need new rotors. Seems like the original set lasted 4 years and now i'm at 2 years and need rotors. Did i mess up by not using the carbon/ceramic pads this time? The R1 set up seems to be pretty popular so I'm curious what the life span on those are? I guess 2 years isn't terrible for rotors but since i got 4 years with the original set up maybe i'll do that again.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are reasons why composite rotors warp. things to look at
1..Torque your Lugnuts
2...Wire wheel or cookie the hub of the truck. (thing with the lug studs) should be smooth. I lightly grease the surface
3...Old rotors do the same inside and the outside.
4...Also do the mount points for the pad hanger and spindle
5...Lastly clean up the wheel. the wheel will build up rust on the back side of the aluminum/magnesium.
This is often forgotten and a important step. A quality rotor should last past the life of the pad.

I have over 350K on my 02 F250 I only replace the rotors when they mic under the minimum. I have warped a set or 2 Get lazy and didn't check the tire guys work. If I don't check there work it is when they didn't torque lug and that Will warp the rotor faster than anything.
I would say Pad choice is not a factor in Warping..... More than likely one of the 5 things I listed is the culprit.
A little light grease between the wheel and the rotor will help with build up on the wheel. Since you rotate or should rotate your tires every 5K on these raptors It should be easy to keep an eye and the back of the wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in corrosion prevention and have done everything that you mentioned above. I should specify only the pads are ceramic/composite, the rotors are cast iron. I was wondering if by using OEM pads would that lead to reduced rotor life? Also my rotors are drilled and slotted.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Composite isn't really a reference to what they're made out of. They are also called semi-floating and duel cast.
More a rotor that is held on by the lug nuts not an axel nut.
Put it this way composite rotors lug studs pass though them. Standard rotors the lug stud are mounted to them.
I don't think pad choice would make a rotor warp. A thin/worn rotor Will be more susceptible to warp.

I know what rotors you got. I just did Bozz and Mwaite09 with the same package power stop. we used power stop pads but again I don't feel the pads would warp rotor. but been wrong before. I would bet it is one if the 5 things I mentioned. I guess one could be hanging?

Last edited: