Upgrading the TWINS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Had a few piece floating around in the oil pan. No clue what happened. Had a 93 octane tune for over 75k miles and got off the cruise one day doing 75mph and that was the end.
That sounds rather anticlimactic...

BUT, am I looking at a crankshaft pork chop here? Did your crank come apart? Lose a rod?

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
I have the stage 2 short block. It is rated for 1000/1000. So more than enough. Depending on what you do it can be a pretty penny. I did ported heads as well and I was around 9k for a long block. Just had to swap over the intake and some fuel stuff.

Yes you can get pocket ported heads from RMB. He has Headgames motorsports do them. I have a set.
Was just on their website. Interesting and sexy looking heads!

"Gains in the bowl area provide more knock protection" - Are they reducing the compression ratio in the head?

Do they offer sodium filled valves with all the Ti keepers?

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds rather anticlimactic...

BUT, am I looking at a crankshaft pork chop here? Did your crank come apart? Lose a rod?
Yes sir. Thats exactly what it is. When it happened it was just bent. My crankshaft pulley was wobbling so much it was almost hitting the block. Started it to pull it in the shop and thats when it came apart.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Yes sir. Thats exactly what it is. When it happened it was just bent. My crankshaft pulley was wobbling so much it was almost hitting the block. Started it to pull it in the shop and thats when it came apart.
I'd say that was extremely lucky timing for you

Isn't this a forged crank???

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
So... What do we know about the adaptive learning on this truck?

I had my truck in for service yesterday and installed the cam phaser update while there. I had to pull off all of the tunes to allow them to do their update. I then saved the new factory configurations and reflashed with my 93 tune and TCM. The last thing the AccessPORT does is reset ECU learning and all adaptives. The truck clearly needs to re-learn a lot of things. Some are simple, like idle speed. Others are a lot more complex. The system does a great job of maintaining AFR regardless of the level of learning going on. I am able to watch "Short Term Fuel Trim" to see how much the system is learning fuel.

What does it take to set a trip flag so that the ECU stores the adaptive learning? Is there a particular driving cycle we should all be doing to allow the truck to learn? Everyone just kind of says to "drive it". But how much? What type of driving is best? Should this be performed before testing each version of a tune? Seems like that may be a good idea. My route could be too short.

In my experience, these systems all have qualifications to store the learned variables. These likely include making sure the engine is up to operating temp and possibly requires a minimum amount of exercise (mileage, load base, or time). From watching the gages during previous testing, it seems that the number of key cycles is also important. It looks like the system slowly marches towards ideal, pulling out roughly 5% of short term trim with each "key cycle" or drive I have been on. Eventually, the truck has small single digit short term trim once it is really happy. But it seems like that can take quite a while, possibly over a few days.

I did a few searches in the forum but didn't seem to find much related to adaptive learning. Aside from taking a few short trips and varying speed/load once warm - Is there a better way to do this?

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I remember reading that you want to let it warm up and idle for at least 15 minutes so it learns to idle properly and then drive it normally for about 100 miles, something like this but not 100% sure.

I think you'd be able to find more information searching YouTube as well as Google.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Note that this seems to be transmission only;

307-01B Automatic Transmission, Transfer Case and Power Transfer Unit - 10- Speed Automatic Transmission – 10R80

Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle
Programming
NOTE: Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.
2017 F-150
Procedure revision date: 04/26/2019
  1. Using the scan tool, clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and Transmission Adaptive Tables.
  2. Drive the vehicle until the engine and transmission reach normal operating temperature.
  3. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that upshifts 1st through 8th occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.
  4. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51- 61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.
  5. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.
  6. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
  7. Shift the transmission to Reverse. Wait 2 seconds.
  8. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
  9. Shift the transmission to Drive. Wait 2 seconds.
  10. Repeat Steps 3 through 9 six additional times.