Undercoating this weekend; What to spray?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s going to come off easy which is why I did my control arms and shocks with AMSoil. I’m hoping that will be enough to keep it protected.

The frame, front and rear axles, and rear wheel wells are another story entirely. That’s going to be a spray and pray situation.
I like the way you think, lol.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All done. I did take the two front skid plates down and get up in the gooey bits.

End thoughts: If you aren’t spraying into your frame and cross members with shop air, you’re not doing the job and protecting everything that needs protected 100%.

It consistently amazes me how many nooks and crannies there are because of the fully boxed frame and overall design of the truck. I’ll be curious to see how these Gen 13 trucks that’ve been driven in the crap look in 10 years.

It also amazes me how much more complex this truck is over my previous Silverado. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Raptor, but I miss some of that Chevy simplicity. Just getting aquatinted with the underbody leads me to believe any repairs under there will not be simple nor easy.

Lastly, with the power of science and poorly aimed Woolwax, I can confirm to you all that the hood and fender vents are absolutely functional, which on a Ford product, is cause for celebration.

785FCF4F-5D8F-4262-BF04-53BB947BE2EB.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All done. I did take the two front skid plates down and get up in the gooey bits.

End thoughts: If you aren’t spraying into your frame and cross members with shop air, you’re not doing the job and protecting everything that needs protected 100%.

It consistently amazes me how many nooks and crannies there are because of the fully boxed frame and overall design of the truck. I’ll be curious to see how these Gen 13 trucks that’ve been driven in the crap look in 10 years.

It also amazes me how much more complex this truck is over my previous Silverado. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Raptor, but I miss some of that Chevy simplicity. Just getting aquatinted with the underbody leads me to believe any repairs under there will not be simple nor easy.

Lastly, with the power of science and poorly aimed Woolwax, I can confirm to you all that the hood and fender vents are absolutely functional, which on a Ford product, is cause for celebration.

View attachment 153185
Nice job!

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score

View attachment 153185

Are you spraying any aluminum/fiberglass panels or just the mounting hardware on them??? So far Ive only done the hardware, door seams and door drain channels but if you have a compelling argument I may have some more spraying to do. Ive been reading some rust horror stories lately (older escapes everything, newer mustang/f150 aluminum bits) but most of it was linked back to bad prep at assembly, not sure if WW or FF would have stopped or slowed it.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you spraying any aluminum/fiberglass panels or just the mounting hardware on them??? So far Ive only done the hardware, door seams and door drain channels but if you have a compelling argument I may have some more spraying to do. Ive been reading some rust horror stories lately (older escapes everything, newer mustang/f150 aluminum bits) but most of it was linked back to bad prep at assembly, not sure if WW or FF would have stopped or slowed it.

I sprayed the entirely of the underbody including the cab, anywhere I could get into the cab corners on the front and back, the bed, basically everything underneath. I used AMSoil underneath the hood on anything that was steel, like the hood mounting brackets.

I was going to spray up inside the tailgate like I’ve done on my past trucks but am undecided for the moment. I still might take the panel off the inside, see what’s inside, and go to town with AMSoil just because it’s cleaner.

BTW, there’s a plastic box with lime green wire looming mounted off the passenger side frame rail just below the front passenger door. Anyone know what this is?

And what have you been hearing/seeing about the Mustangs CobraJay?

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
Not sure what I can/cant post a link directly to here but just duckduckgo (google alternative) "mustang aluminum hood rust" or "F150 aluminum hood rust" and start clicking, you will see plenty of scary stuff. I just sprayed all the tailgate gaps, holes, drains, seams and hardware I could reach with a can of FF after all that I read the last few days.

Only time will tell if using FF/WW is effective but its a maintenance item that I perform every fall and spring, my Raptor will be the first vehicle I will treat from the cradle to the grave. I have had great results on my previous Subaru's including my wifes 07 Legacy which I have been treating for 4 or 5 years now iirc. My Forester did well where the FF held up but since it would get washed away from driving on the highway so I switched to WW this season. I have only sprayed FF in the door panels and tailgate drains and seams because I still have a can of it left and the 360 attachment, everything else under my Raptor was WW with a Lemmer RP-460-HD at ~90psi.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what I can/cant post a link directly to here but just duckduckgo (google alternative) "mustang aluminum hood rust" or "F150 aluminum hood rust" and start clicking, you will see plenty of scary stuff. I just sprayed all the tailgate gaps, holes, drains, seams and hardware I could reach with a can of FF after all that I read the last few days.

Only time will tell if using FF/WW is effective but its a maintenance item that I perform every fall and spring, my Raptor will be the first vehicle I will treat from the cradle to the grave. I have had great results on my previous Subaru's including my wifes 07 Legacy which I have been treating for 4 or 5 years now iirc. My Forester did well where the FF held up but since it would get washed away from driving on the highway so I switched to WW this season. I have only sprayed FF in the door panels and tailgate drains and seams because I still have a can of it left and the 360 attachment, everything else under my Raptor was WW with a Lemmer RP-460-HD at ~90psi.

I was under the impression that the F-150 had a composite hood, not aluminum. Same for the Mustang but I reserve the right to be wrong.

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the F-150 had a composite hood, not aluminum. Same for the Mustang but I reserve the right to be wrong.

I can’t confirm on the other F-150 models but the GEN 2 Raptors have a composite hood.

Yes they do have composite hoods and front fenders but the aluminum body panels/seams are what I am concerned about, doors and tailgates in particular. For the hood and front fenders I just sprayed/brushed all the mounting hardware I could see/reach. Now that I think about it I am going to give the backside of my front bumper fog light pockets a WW wipedown.

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score

Got the PN you screen grabbed from Tasca on the way, will report back when they arrive in a few weeks.

Thanks @2019 scott , the liners arrived and are exactly like you posted. Ordered 2 lefts, pleasantly surprised that they are much more flexible than I expected. I figured I was going to get some stiff plastic fender liner that didnt like bending, these are nice and pliable. Will study your mounting pics and then get mine installed, did you do any trimming at all???