Travel Advisory - San Antonio Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The nice areas in San Antonio are the ones that get hit. The thieves know that they'll score better stuff in those areas. I probably know a dozen people that live in or were passing through San Antonio that had their trucks broken into. I know that the La Cantera area is a prime spot to have your truck broken into.

To be fair, let’s talk about my relatives in DC. One of whom is LE. They’ve had their cars broken into multiple times, and 3 of them stolen, recovered 2 times. This is within the last 10 years or so. One doesn’t even own a car because he realizes he only has street parking, it’s only a matter of time until it gets stolen.

S/A has a huge military contingent, supporting infrastructure ( car dealers, pawn shops, tattoo parlors, liquor stores and fast food ), has good areas and bad. You can be in S/A on a few acres in what is what normal folks call a suburb, or right in the middle of downtown. So yeah, obviously some places are theft hot spots.

raptor556

Reaction score
1. san antonio is the 7th largest us city. so yeah, car break ins and thefts happen. Funny the "military town" relation was made. There are a few bases there, and at the same time that city is absolutely nothing like the vast majority of military towns. You know, where the nice strip joints in town employ pregnant toothless dependent wives.

2. DC is a genuine t-u-r-d

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. san antonio is the 7th largest us city. so yeah, car break ins and thefts happen. Funny the "military town" relation was made. There are a few bases there, and at the same time that city is absolutely nothing like the vast majority of military towns. You know, where the nice strip joints in town employ pregnant toothless dependent wives.

2. DC is a genuine t-u-r-d
Lots a strong opinions. If I get car jacked in DesMoines should I start a crusade against small cities.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hate to be car jacked; only because I would have to clean the brains of the attacker off of my dashboard. Concealed Carry is a necessity now in the New Orleans area. I live 60 miles away but EVERY day, there's 2 or 3 carjackings. Last week, 1:30pm, 71 year old woman leaving work gets drug for a block until her arm gets severed and she dies shortly thereafter on the street, because 4 teenagers don't want to walk a mile to their neighborhood. Parents of two of them turned them in, Thank God. So don't come to N.O. with or without your Raptor.

rbi123

Reaction score
Just a Heads-Up for anyone traveling through San Antonio, TX. Spent the night there last Saturday night and my Raptor was broken in to and ransacked. Stayed at the Hampton Inn Stone Oak on Canyon Drive. Locked the truck about 8:00 pm and when we went back out at 5 am, the lock cylinder had been broken out of the Driver's side door and the cab ransacked. Spoke to Hotel Staff and they indicated that this was not the first time there. Did some additional research and this is apparently a big problem in the area.

Apparently our trucks are really easy to break in to for someone who knows how to pilfer the locking mechanism.

Good news is we had taken all of our valuables inside and the thieves went away empty handed and didn't tear up anything other that the driver's side door handle and lock. Unfortunately, my Local Ford Dealer says it will be around $500 to repair damages.
I literally had the same thing happen to me a few months ago at the Staybridge suites which is like a mile up the road from this place. Luckily nothing got stolen. Had me debating whether I should just completely remove the key cylinder.

ThorMagnusson

Reaction score
Same story for me in SA over Thanksgiving - broken into and ransacked.

I asked the shop where I got it fixed about jimmy jammers or taking out the locks. They said they had a customer do that and then drive through SA - instead of breaking in through the door, they smashed the back window out. When the customer was back a second time, he just put it back to stock.

If they want to get in, they’ll get in, especially in San Antonio.