Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Henryrifle

Reaction score
Very new to my '13 Raptor. Upgraded from '05 F250. My Raptor shifts out of first gear very quickly and positively. All other gear changes, up or down, are very smooth. If I accelerate from a stop very slowly the first gear shift is much less abrupt. Is that normal and if not, what might that indicate?

I have never been in any other Raptor for comparison. The truck has 66,000 miles and is very clean underneath. Maybe someone meticulously cleaned it but I doubt that.

Thanks for the help,
Henryrifle

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very new to my '13 Raptor. Upgraded from '05 F250. My Raptor shifts out of first gear very quickly and positively. All other gear changes, up or down, are very smooth. If I accelerate from a stop very slowly the first gear shift is much less abrupt. Is that normal and if not, what might that indicate?

I have never been in any other Raptor for comparison. The truck has 66,000 miles and is very clean underneath. Maybe someone meticulously cleaned it but I doubt that.

Thanks for the help,
Henryrifle
Are you feeling sort of a bump sensation? Where it is knocking from first to second?

I also have a 13 and my knock turned into major issues fast

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '13 ate the torque converter before 6,000 miles...That was a fun 37 day ordeal with the dealership while they couldn't figure anything out...

OP
OP
H

Henryrifle

Reaction score
I am tempted to say yes to the bump almost like being rear ended. Want to drive it again in the morning to confirm.

Will get back to you...

What was the cause and fix for yours Waddellw?

Henryrifle

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

SonnyAK - what did you feel as your torque converter was failing?

Henryrifle

Last edited:

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am tempted to say yes to the bump almost like being rear ended. Want to drive it again in the morning to confirm.

Will get back to you...

What was the cause and fix for yours Waddellw?

Henryrifle
My 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 feel like that like somebody hit me.

Since I have had a problem where under heavy braking it'll stay in third and then really hit to first. Sometimes losing gear totally.

I'm at 83k miles but it sounds like you're running into the same starting symptoms I was having. I am going to try and get mine in ford soon to figure out the problem but all the dealer's around me are backed up 2 weeks minimum and they will not let me in line unless I give them my truck so it can just sit there! Pretty stupid and down right annoying when I NEED a vehicle

Edit: I finally got a wrench light coming up but it goes away when it turns off and no place I have gone yet have been able to pull codes for a problem. There are a few threads discussing this issue but none have gotten me answers yet.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

This is just from tonight not the best video forgive my unsteady hand but this is just coming to a stop what has begun to happen to mine, which started off with the same kick feel

https://youtu.be/xtt3K--GB2I

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

At 24k miles I had a seal blow on my transmission and the fluid leaked out. My Ford dealer failed to catch it the first time it was in (it was there for a month) so I drove off thinking they fixed it. I ended up going back and telling them something was wrong and I didn't want to brake my practically new vehicle. 2nd time (2~3 months in ford service) they found that there was NO FLUID in the transmission and "fixed it" they refilled the fluid and pretty much told me to go away that it was all fine and dandy now.

Fast forward around 20k miles and it is starting to "kick" I took it back and they reflashed it and sent me away

Since then the kick has moved to a KICK and to an absolute pain.

I still feel that the warranty I no longer have SHOULD have covered a proper fix and I 1000% blame Ford.

OP
OP
H

Henryrifle

Reaction score
I got up early this morning to check out the truck and get going before traffic to play with it some. As mentioned in the original post, the Raptor is very new to me. Today is my 3rd day of ownership.

Compared to my F250 diesel, my Raptor also has a rougher idle than I would expect. Not in a big cam lopey kind of way—just rough—like it needs a tune up. I pulled the air filter top off to take a look and the filter was new. I disconnected the wire harness from the MAF sensor and unscrewed it from the air intake housing. Using MAF sensor spray cleaner, I cleaned both the contacts and the exposed wire and reassembled. I checked all fluids while the hood was up and all seemed okay.

There is one big difference today than the previous two days. It is almost 60 degrees here in Atlanta today and it has been around 35 in the mornings or below the previous two days.

On startup the truck idled much more normally. The roughness and vibration was gone. The most interesting part of the drive this morning is that the hard first to second shifts are gone too. The shift from 1 to 2 is still more noticeable than any other shift like 2nd to 3rd but my F250 was the same.

I am not saying that I fixed anything or that it is all good—maybe my truck just runs better in warmer weather. I’ll keep paying attention and am sure there are more cold days coming our way.

Thanks,
Henryrifle

Z7What

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before assuming something is wrong with the tranny try resetting the computer to reset the adaptive learning. There are a few things that the truck adjust for based off how you drive. If they previous owner was a little heavy footed the truck could have adjusted the 1-2 shift to be a little firmer. Just disconnect the Neg terminal off the battery for about 30mins. I also like to turn the headlights on or keep the dome light on with the battery disconnected to drain any stored power it may have. Just remember to turn the lights off before reconnecting the battery.

Worth a shot!

Wayne

OP
OP
H

Henryrifle

Reaction score
Z7What:

You are right. After a week of ownership the truck is awesome. I did not realize that the transmission was adaptive—or even what that really meant. It is easy to imagine that the people who test drove the truck while at the used card dealership were pretty aggressive with it and it took a few drives to adapt to my much less aggressive style. I generally keep my cars/trucks a long time as evidenced by my ’05 F250. Modern vehicles have come a long long way. I have had it off road in a large pasture now (no fun to clean), on a few relatively long (2-hour) interstate rides and a good bit of in-town Atlanta driving. I just can’t believe how capable, comfortable and enjoyable the Raptor is. In short, I love it!

Henryrifle

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that it was only an adaptive problem with your transmission! I took mine in and they are replacing it a sensor went bad and destroyed the whole thing.

Best of luck with the new truck