Transfer case select issue, dropps into 4 low on its own!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Ok. all,

For a while now I have had some weird shit going on with the transfer case function. Back 2 years ago while on the meet with a few in Colorado I had the transfer case go limp, neutral while moving. Went between high and low range I guess? I got a wrench light. I stopped, put it 4 x 2 and then back to 4 x 4 high. All went in and was fine. Wrench went away after the next start cycle.

About 6 months ago, March, I was in a heavy rain, lots of standing water and I have always just used the 4 high in these cases. Did it for 100,000 miles on my FX4. I know the truck does not like turning in 4 x 4 on hard pack or street. I always click back and forth when turning more than a lane change. No big deal. So I always select 4 x 4 high at say a stop light. I roll fwd 10 feet and let everything click in. Then drive off like a mad man in the wet. HAhaaaa.

So 6 months ago I do this as usual and take off from a stop in 4 high. I had about 40 K on the clock. After about 100 yards the damn truck drops into 4 x 4 low? I am moving about 30 mph. I get these grinding noises as the transfer case is trying to drop into low. Errrrrrrweerrrrr and as I slow to get out of traffic and turn onto a side street to my right it drops into low while I am moving. WHAM! Oh the noises! I get the wrench light on the cluster.

So I think to myself I am fat and stupid and switched past 4 high into 4 low. So I look at the selector knob and its in 4 high. So I select 4 low and it goes into 4 low on the cluster. I then select 4 high and it does not go. I then select 2 high and it finally clunks in. I back up to make sure everything is disengaged. I then back out and head on my way in 2 wheel.

So this all bothered me for most of the drive into work. So I just had to try it again. I am stopped and select 4 high. Clunk all is fine and I drive along for a few miles no issues. I still have the wrench light. Upon re start no wrench and all is good.

I take the truck to my property a few times over the next few months and use all the selections with no issues. Then about 2 months ago I am taking a short cut across a parking lot, wet conditions and drop it into 4 high. Again errrrrerrrrrr it goes to 4 low on the cluster with wrench and as I slow CRUNCH POW! It drops into low range as I am still slowing. MOTHER ******! My wife was with me and screams WHAT THE HELL! I then explain the history. She is not impressed with the ole Raptor at this point! So again I select around and get it back in 2 high. Again after an on off cycle of the key the wrench goes away. Again I **** with it and it works as it should. WTF?

So I was at my property in September. I select 4 high and I get the wrench. It does shift into 4 high and I do my thing for 2 days there using the truck as a truck. In and out of 4 high and 2 high with no issues but for the wrench. I then get done and drop it in 4 low to see whats up. It does drop in and works fine. Wrench is still there. I go to town for some deer corn and in 2 high with small wrench light on. Then it goes out. WTF? Get back to property and all works fine.

Then last month heavy rain in traffic and I select 4 high and get the wrench. I wait for the dreaded WHAM from 4 high to 4 low and do not get it. I decide to head straight to the dealer with it in 4 high, let them do a code read. I get to the dealer and the guy takes it right back. 30 minutes later he pulls around and tries to give me the speech on how to use 4 wheel drive? I cop an attitude right then and tell him its the same as my FX4 was. I had no issues with it. He then tells me this is a special truck and its not to be used in 4 wheel drive on the street. Not even in wet conditions. Its special. Now look, I am fat but not stupid! He then tells me the code showed the selector brushes needed cleaning. He shows me how to select 4 high to 4 low and back and forth 5 times as a cleaning procedure for the brushes. OK? No code.

Now just this past week we had MAJOR storms here in Dallas area. I pull out behind my house and go ahead and selected 4 high. Clunck. All was fine. I de select to 2 high and drive off. I was in high water and debris in about 5 minutes. I select 4 high and errrririrreerrrrr it try's the same shit! I slam on the brakes and it drops into low. I then de select back and forth 10 times and still get the wrench and 4 low. I then back up, stop, selected into 4 low and it seems to go and then back to 4 high and it goes and then 2 high and it goes. Wrench is lit. I back up some then drive off to work. Upon leaving work no wrench and I head straight to ANOTHER DEALER this time. The dealer I hate but where I bought the truck from. At least they will take the truck in and look at it. Not just say I am stupid and fat. Now at about 50 K miles.

I get the service writer to take it for a drive. He selects 4 high in the parking lot. It works fine. We drive onto a side street in 4 high in the dry. Crab crab crab, then he selected 2 high. We drive a block and he stops and selects 4 high. The truck drops into 4 low with the wrench light on now! YES! Its doing it while at the dealer ship. HAhaaaaa. A first! He looks at the selector knob. He exclaims its in 4 high not 4 low on the knob. I say YEPPER! SEE!
He then selects 4 low and back and to 2 high and all is good with wrench lit.

So I put it in the shop for that, heated seat inop and the drivers seat had an issue with rocking or loose tracks.

They keep the truck 3 days. Installed new heater element in seat, Replaced the seat tracks and replaced the transfer case motor. I guess the motor that selects between 2 high, and 4 high and low. I am skeptical but I went and tried it out several times and it seems to be working. I asked if there could be any hidden damage from the slamming into low while moving and he said the tech checked the fluid for debris and found none. I wonder how he did that without replacing fluids? We will see in a few weeks when I go to the land.

I know this was long winded but has anyone else had this issue? Any damage?

BDRAG

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I've never had that issue, but what a fabulous write up! I would of knocked that first service writer straight in the temple for talking shit like that! You might be fat, but you're definitely not stupid bro! Hope it's fixed for good!

D

Deleted member 12951

I have not had any issues. I've only used 4 HI when on dirt and will use it on the street when there is snow. You definitely use the system but I am not sure I would use it that much on the street even in rain.
Granted I don't have as many miles on my yet.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Wow,! I would of knocked that first service writer straight in the temple for talking shit like that! You might be fat, but you're definitely not stupid bro!

Well what sucks is this guy was recommended to me from the local dealer person that is into Roush and all the performance Ford stuff. So I was hoping for a good real answer and a Leave it with us. I told the guy up front that I have the Ford Premium Extended Warranty for stuff not still under the 5 year / 60,000 mile drive line warrantee. I said you have my permission to make money on my truck as long as its not my nickel! AHhaaaaa. Guess he didn't want my money.

The fixes I mentioned were done and I had my $100 deductible I paid.

BDRAG

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

I am not sure I would use it that much on the street even in rain.

Well as long as its not at speed like 70 mph there is nothing that is going to be stressed. There is much less stress on it in 4 high in the rain on the highway than there is hammering the truck off road.

The 4 x 4 systems are fine if you don't try and make U turns and or turn into a parking lot or that type thing. Sure those moves put the drive line in a bind. Regardless of the straight line stress or lack of it the issues I had were in no way related to the surface I was driving on. It was a issue between the shift motor and the control knob. I was not sure if it was a short in the dash knob or somewhere else. Seems the motor position indicator was probably shit.

Believe me, the 100,000 miles I put the FX4 through in rain and so on in 4 wheel drive never hurt it. It never barked back unless you tried to turn sharp. Any 4 wheel drive would old or new. The Raptor acts the same as the FX4 did under the same use. The Raptor is not special as far as how it works or its parts. The parts my be beefier than my FX4 were but function and design in the system are the same. Only thing different is the electric locker.

Just a side note on my driving habits. I drive like a ****. People hate me. I hammer away from a light in the rain in 4 wheel drive to keep away from all the morons out there. The tires I have on for now suck in the wet and traction is shit in the rain. So 4 high solves all. HAhaaaaa. I love hauling into a 40 mph sweeper with a Camaro on my ass in the rain and watch him thump a curb as he slides or drifts following me through while in 4 high. HAhaaaa. Sorry. I am who I am. They need to learn to drive in all conditions in whatever they drive like I do. I just have more options! AHahaaaa.

BDRAG

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BDRAG, I bet you a dozen "dough"nuts that the electrical connector (6 or so pins) just before the shift motor on the transfer case has water in it.

My 2010 would not shift in or out of 4wd when raining or after hitting puddles. Got the wrench and "check 4x4" message too. Ford replaced the t-case shift motor but the problem persisted.

Worst time was with a bunch of Jeeps and FJ's that were doubtful of the Raptors capabilities, and it wouldn't shift into 4wd when I needed it (just ******* great, witnesses). I crawled underneath (in the mud) and pulled apart that connector and water poured out, I blew it dry(ish) and shot WD40 in it and it shifted fine.

The final fix was to fill the connector with dielectric grease and wrap it and the nearby wiring loom with waterproof, self bonding tape. Haven't had any more problems in three years since waterproofing the connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
BDRAG, I bet you a dozen "dough"nuts that the electrical connector (6 or so pins) just before the shift motor on the transfer case has water in it.

hey whats up bubba, That's a good idea to do. I will crawl under and see if they happen to have done the D grease and or taped it up. If not I will do just that. Don't tell me there is a plug with a sleeve that's positioned up or the connector is like a cup to hold water? Would not surprise me. Thanks for your input.

You know come to think of it, that first time in Colorado when it did the weird transfer case neutral, I had crossed a small stream at some point shortly before it happened. Hummmmmmmmm?

BDRAG

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
I've lived in WA my whole life and never used 4wd in the rain :snoopfacepalm: :think:

Glad you got your truck fixed though!

HAaaaaa! Try it some time. You will love it. Like I said, I drive aggressive. I use 4 wheel drive in the wet weather here to survive. We have so many foreign drivers here that have NO CLUE on how to drive. They come here in their middle age and have never driven before. First thing they do is get a drivers license and hit the road. HAhaaaaa. FOR REAL!

So I drive my cars like I ride my motorcycles. Hit it and get the safety zone or perimeter set. Drive aggressively defensive.

When you use 4 high in the rain you can drive almost as aggressive as in 2 high in the dry. It is what it is. Now remember we have been in a 5 year drought so this is not a big issue here! HAhaaaa.

BDRAG

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've lived in WA my whole life and never used 4wd in the rain :snoopfacepalm: :think:

Glad you got your truck fixed though!

All those AWD Subarus and Volvos and they don't know how to drive in the rain either. God forbid it actually snows in the city.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
All those AWD Subarus and Volvos and they don't know how to drive in the rain either. God forbid it actually snows in the city.

Oh my GOD you should see it here when we get snow or ice. HAhaaaaa. Its a hoot. I really drive aggressive then. Make my own lane and drive on the medians. HAaaaa. Only almost hit one light pole so far. HAhaaaaa.

BDRAG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DehydratedSurfer

Latest posts