TPMS Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Hit the menu button on the steering wheel. I think it’s in Raptor Info. Use the arrows to scroll through the different pages. It’s after then”measurements” page.
ok, will look again, but I'm 99.9% sure that I've scrolled through every possible menu. Will go look again. If TPMS is disabled or uninstalled, does it even show up?

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, will look again, but I'm 99.9% sure that I've scrolled through every possible menu. Will go look again. If TPMS is disabled or uninstalled, does it even show up?
You might have something else going on, but even when I was getting a TPMS fault it would show the page and graphic. There just wouldn’t be a pressure reading next to each tire.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would Ford not add a sensor on the spare? Wranglers come with sensors in all 5 wheels.
Great question. It wasn't a COVID error in the build. The dealer says it doesn't come with one from the factory and it isn't balanced. I am trying to figure out if I should throw $50 to see if the TPMS sensor works in the rotation or just forget about it and I have a spare 5th wheel that matches under the vehicle incase something happens to one of the other 4. The cost is only going to go up on these things anyway. lol

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great question. It wasn't a COVID error in the build. The dealer says it doesn't come with one from the factory and it isn't balanced. I am trying to figure out if I should throw $50 to see if the TPMS sensor works in the rotation or just forget about it and I have a spare 5th wheel that matches under the vehicle incase something happens to one of the other 4. The cost is only going to go up on these things anyway. lol
I can confirm 5 tire rotation works if you add the sensor and balance the spare. Nothing needed to calibrate TPMS. Truck will figure it out after driving for a few miles.

Even if you don’t do a 5 tire rotation I’d think the sensor and balance would be worth it. What happens if you get a flat and use the wheel? Especially if your on a trip and can’t get the original back on quickly? How’s that unbalanced wheel going to do for the rest of a road trip?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can confirm 5 tire rotation works if you add the sensor and balance the spare. Nothing needed to calibrate TPMS. Truck will figure it out after driving for a few miles.

Even if you don’t do a 5 tire rotation I’d think the sensor and balance would be worth it. What happens if you get a flat and use the wheel? Especially if your on a trip and can’t get the original back on quickly? How’s that unbalanced wheel going to do for the rest of a road trip?
Agreed. I have a sensor and rotate in the spare. Worth it.

dleathernuts

Reaction score

Want to confirm. I bought oem sensor for spare (gen3) from ford. Went to discount tire. Before they went to install, they said their machine would not program and that ford would have to do it. But are you saying they can install and just drive and it will be picked up? Or does it initially need to be programmed to the truck, then it will be picked up automatically after each rotation?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Want to confirm. I bought oem sensor for spare (gen3) from ford. Went to discount tire. Before they went to install, they said their machine would not program and that ford would have to do it. But are you saying they can install and just drive and it will be picked up? Or does it initially need to be programmed to the truck, then it will be picked up automatically after each rotation?
You may have to buy the motorcraft tool. I have never had an issue but this last TPMS I bought was stubborn. It wouldn’t pickup for anything. I ended up buying the tool and it immediately learned.

This is the one I bought.
Motorcraft TPMS19 Transmitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FKSNUI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to do anything other than install and drive the truck. Seemed like the first time it took a little longer to pickup. Since then is does it within a minute or two if driving after rotating my tires. I do a 5 tire rotation so the spare gets switched in. I purchased one of those cheap programming tools and didn’t need it. There’s no initial programming that needs to be done.

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
I have 2018. Does anyone know if I buy tires and rims off 2023 Raptor will the TPMS work or will I need to change transmitter or update anything or just swap out old for new?