Timing Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DBL7DS

Reaction score
Brought in for an AC issue = new evap under warranty. Just found out it’ll be staying longer - tech said it needs phasers and parts will be in tomorrow. 23-2143 parts list doesn’t show timing chains listed. Can’t find solid answer searching around if they are included or is it determined during tear down? Doesn’t make sense to do the work and not do the chains, right? 55k miles anything I should tell them to replace since it’s torn down?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is in for phasers right now as well i told them to replace the chain and guides as well even if i pay out of pocket. The sa said the parts were $200 ish.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chains and guides are not included in the TSB; they’re not going to replace parts that aren’t bad. You can ask the dealer you’re working with if they’re willing to replace additional parts if you pay out of pocket; there’s no extra labor for the chain.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chains and guides are not included in the TSB; they’re not going to replace parts that aren’t bad. You can ask the dealer you’re working with if they’re willing to replace additional parts if you pay out of pocket; there’s no extra labor for the chain.
That's exactly what I did - even if they are good, while it's open I figure why not replace them, although the dealer said they 'may' be covered. I told him do it either way.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I also paid OOP for new chains and guides. Parts are cheap and labor is covered under phaser work.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What year? I thought most of the timing chain guide issues were fixed in 2018?
Guides aren't an issue but if you are in there replacing the phasers, you might as well replace the guides and the chain to get a brand new timing system if you will.

OP
OP
D

DBL7DS

Reaction score
Thanks for the info., didn’t get notified of replies. Told them to replace items they typically reuse under the TSB. He ask “are you sure?” Worth the extra money for new parts that warranty cover for peace of mind. Water pump had a dribble and covered under warranty… tstat wasn’t… go figure. All good. No squealing pig in the morning!