Thoughts on preventative battery change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01Moch1

Reaction score
3.2 years old, 42,*** miles.

The auto start stop thing has been turning itself off lately due to low voltage condition. truck still starts fine as needed, but I am considering replacing the battery before I get stranded.

thoughts?
What did you end up doing about your battery? I'm in a similar situation with my late build '18 with just under 20k miles. I first noticed my passenger side intelligent access wasn't working then recently noticed my interior lights don't stay on very long. No cranking issues yet but I have topped the battery off with my battery maintainer twice but the symptoms have returned within a couple days, both times.
Which battery did you go with and why? Did you have to reset your battery management system?
Thanks!

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What did you end up doing about your battery? I'm in a similar situation with my late build '18 with just under 20k miles. I first noticed my passenger side intelligent access wasn't working then recently noticed my interior lights don't stay on very long. No cranking issues yet but I have topped the battery off with my battery maintainer twice but the symptoms have returned within a couple days, both times.
Which battery did you go with and why? Did you have to reset your battery management system?
Thanks!
Ill repost my experience and BMS info

Need a load tester or stop at a PepBoys, autozone, what have you in your area for a free battery check.

I checked mine early this fall after 4 years and 60k ish and it was not well, I changed it out. $200 is cheap insurance compared to the dead battery inconvenience 30 miles from the nearest parts store in the OBX or in a 10F morning in NJ. FTS.

And don't forget there is a BMS if you replace the battery yourself. I assume you can use Forscan if you have that, I don't, others may know.

From the 2018 OM on BMS reset.

After battery replacement, or in some
cases after charging the battery with an
external charger, the battery management
system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep
time to relearn the battery state of charge.
During this time your vehicle must remain
fully locked with the ignition switched off.
Note: Prior to relearning the battery state
of charge, the battery management system
may temporarily disable some electrical
systems.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks!
nothing yet.....I am lazy...I will wait until I get stranded before I replace it

K-Doob

Reaction score
For peace of mind change the battery every 2-3 years and increase the cold crank amperage. When the battery gets weak our trucks show strange behavior. From my previous BMWs living in the south with hot summers, the batteries are the first thing to go.

raptor556

Reaction score
For peace of mind change the battery every 2-3 years and increase the cold crank amperage. When the battery gets weak our trucks show strange behavior. From my previous BMWs living in the south with hot summers, the batteries are the first thing to go.

yeah, and maybe change your oil every 1k miles while you are at it.

sorry bro. bad advice. no damn reason to change your battery every 2-3 years unless you have some very odd circumstance.

These are 800 cca AGM batteries. It's actually a pretty damn good battery.

Probably the one thing ford didn't skimp on.