The Detroit Auto Show - New Raptor Unveiling Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol they could do a V8 if they wanted, EPA didn't put a gun to their head for **** sake people. I've owned both NA and forced induction vehicles, I don't see a huge problem with going with this setup but it's not for everyone. Would I rather have a V8? Hell ya! The 6.2 again? Nope! lack of aftermarket sucks.

Here's my thoughts on the 3.5 vs 6.2:

It's not a CAFE thing (as that is average, and 20k raptors won't move the needle one bit), it's a cost containment issue. They can't put the 6.2 in the regular F150's as that would screw their CAFE numbers, so they had to kill the engine. Keeping that alive for a small run would kill profitability for them. It would be akin to making the new raptor 7" wider instead of 6" (would have to build a whole new assembly line as they wouldn't fit existing line).

This is why you see the ecoboost in the new Ford GT as well. It's them making a statement that it will be their new development platform for wringing as much as they can out of the engine.

For the main engine lines all manufacturers are getting out of NA motors, and it is because of the stupid fuel MPG testing, which is faulty. The way they test the turbos never spool, thus tricking the test into better MPG,and good CAFE ratings. In real world situations, the CAFE numbers drop significantly.

Ferrari is turboing their V8
Porsche is turboing their flat 6

all for the same reasons.

I'll miss the sound my 6.2 makes on SW headers, but the future is turbos.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few things to consider, the Chevy Raptor killer has 550 HP with a v8 and SC.
And I'm sure the GT's EB engine is super exspenive to build at 600 HP with the internals needing major upgrading.
Either two things may happen the Raptors price will sky rocket or we may see a 5.2 L with some kind of forced air.

Last edited:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We will not se a SC'd 5.2L. The 5.2L flat crank is a halo engine on its own. If anything you would see the 5.0L with a SC, same as they use in the Cobra Jets.

And the reason the GT has the 3.5L EB has already been discussed. Its required for them to meet the racing engine limits. Its based on the 3.5l they already have been racing and its the max displacement allowed with forced induction. Remember this is a production car that they built to race in production class. I am sure there were plenty of guys that wanted a coyote, or even the 5.8L with forced induction but that does not work for the goal of the car to run lemans and such.

I am still holding out hope that the next GT500 will be a TT coyote setup making 700+ HP (underrated of course)

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few things to consider, the Chevy Raptor killer has 550 HP with a v8 and SC.
And I'm sure the GT's EB engine is super exspenive to build at 600 HP with the internals needing major upgrading.
Either two things may happen the Raptors price will sky rocket or we may see a 5.2 L with a SC.

I've done some reading and even the current ecoboost is pretty stout with forged internals. They HO EB will still have forged internals and the port and direct injection will solve the current EB lack of fuel for big power. They are also using 54mm turbos with big impellers as opposed to the current 51mm turbos. The fueling I think is the biggest upgrade overall with it as the current EB can put down some impressive power with basic mods. 400 hp and 500 tq to the wheels is fairly easy to do with the current motor.

Honestly I LOVED the sound of my 6.2 with full exhaust but now I'm at a point where power is power and the more I can get reliably the happier I'll be. If this motor can take the abuse and is as mod friendly as the current EB this thing is going to be a monster after a few mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofcbarbrady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me that our front end's don't look better. Something about the new one looks too boxy. Hopefully it grows on me
4050ff7e7e9de9d2d7f250805e5410be.jpg

Our front ends don't look better!!!

While I absolutely love our trucks.....I think this one definitely looks more aggressive and chiseled.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
385 post and the conclusion is you are:

A) V8's are what off roading is and the sound is part of the experience

Or

B) You don't care what is in it as long as it goes fast.

I would like to point out this argument when the "new" model comes not being like the "old" model has been discussed for probably every car accept the Aztec. That killed the car company so no need for gen 2 =P

As this will get buried in 20 more post and forgotten. I just wanted to conclude with just because the newer model is better, does not means it is always better.

Same argument with the sports car guys and saying that modern cars are great and fast but the soul of the cars has been taken away. I think that is the main argument here but that is, will the new raptor have a soul with all the new shinny do-dads and thing-a-mabobs.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2015 gas super duty sure does run good for having a engine that's apperently dead.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

The real question is

Will epas rack last longer then the current rack.

richwoodrocket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything will rival the first gen raptor any time soon. The first gen simply was the first truck of its kind and everybody followed.