Another new guy wants to air bag his 2g Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgsfab

Reaction score
Finally bought a Raptor, 2019 racing red SCREW and boy has it been fun...
20230919_133120.jpg20230919_202328.jpg
Then it's apparent something is hincky with the front-end, it's tracking bumps , weird steering , etc.
20230930_164014.jpg
Of course it needed new ball joints so I did them all (tie rods okay for now).
The stereo was "special" , no bass? They ripped out the B&O and left me a dangling Nav-tv and a 4ch to run the doors...
20230916_151116.jpg
Fixed with a custom bracket. Added in an extra 4ch and 10in under seat sub I had from another truck . Plugged in the center channel as well .
20230905_182323.jpg
Now comes the towing part...
Need to tow my 8k loaded enclosed 12miles to the dunes . I accept that I need a WD hitch, already ordered a Curt Short Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch Kit. But I have my doubts about level towing.
I remember watching "TwinTurbos" TV show and they supposedly did Airbags on slapper bars and remember thinking that's a great idea!
Anybody have any feedback for these?
This is similar but I don't like the free floating bag or having to swap in spacers on the axle.
Plus it's a bit ritzy for brackets and bags.
When you have a 160ton press brake, plaz table , 3d scanners, faro arm, welders and a seat of Autodesk Product Design and Manufacturing - you tend to scoff and say "I could do better" lol. Deep down you know it takes a ton of time for people to engineer this stuff and they should get payed for it. It's really just your bored and need something besides rubber stamping paperwork.

I have designed a "few" suspensions from scratch including a fully 4linked and bagged 350 that was my dune runner / rescue for years (also towed my 43.7ft toyhauler).

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my 20’ 7k tandem enclosed with two dirt bikes and three quads plus gear with the rap. it squats but it works. A WD hitch would make it better, even good enough. Better than a cheap chevy any day.

OP
OP
J

jgsfab

Reaction score
I tow my 20’ 7k tandem enclosed with two dirt bikes and three quads plus gear with the rap. it squats but it works. A WD hitch would make it better, even good enough. Better than a cheap chevy any day.
I've conceded to the WD hitch due to Ford stating you have to have one.
It's a 24ft Interstate with 2 kids quads and this 3klb homebuilt sand rail ... IMG_20230603_160312_976.jpg

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, you don't see too many Race Red Raptors out there.

Towing is a touchy subject here Lol. Tons of opinions. Yes, stated Tow capacity with WDH is 8k, but that doesn't really account for passengers/bed cargo, so its up if you really want to tow that much. You could end up over the limit which could open you up to more trouble if you get pulled over or get in an accident.

Here is the most recent towing thread with the response I gave to him: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/tow-capacity-of-a-2020.99372/page-3#post-1946105

OP
OP
J

jgsfab

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, you don't see too many Race Red Raptors out there.

Towing is a touchy subject here Lol. Tons of opinions. Yes, stated Tow capacity with WDH is 8k, but that doesn't really account for passengers/bed cargo, so its up if you really want to tow that much. You could end up over the limit which could open you up to more trouble if you get pulled over or get in an accident.

Here is the most recent towing thread with the response I gave to him: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/tow-capacity-of-a-2020.99372/page-3#post-1946105
Understood. Hitch weight is important.
WD hitch plus bags should be functional. Towing with any 150 seems to require bags etc. Being a tourist area , local PD doesn't check anybody - they don't have the time for the amount of people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter