Swapped Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The intended purpose oem manufacrurer designed them for are different from what ford prioritized when placing them on the truck. Very few people under 6 feet tall would be able to reach the windshield without stepping on those fully extended rails to brush snow off the center windshield or clean the center. So my thoughts is ford considered that as more important when they placed them on the raptor.

My understanding is a standard f150 these side boards are originally designed for is a bit lower and easier to reach than a raptor so they can flip them the other direction. But when they say raptor its meant for the higher truck considerations. They go with the wide side forward not back hence why the raptor logo is on the front side. Most suv and trucks that are over 7.5 inches get side steps to ease average height people from entering the vehicle and the side steps were originally designed for this, but my thinking is ford flipped it the other way to solve the other issue i mentioned. A raptor has around a 11.5inch ground clearance which is higher than a standard suv or truck setup. So theres no right or wrong for this and ford didn't make any mistake. Its a matter of purpose and what is more important to the user. For ford safety comes first and allowing the operator to do maintenance on clearing windshield without a step stool or ladder makes it easier. The holes become irrelevant for this purpose since you have something to hold onto when youre going in and out of the truck. They could've easily had a separate side step designed with new holes or no holes on the side steps for the raptor but of course cost considerations always come into effect and this is where it landed.

If someone doesn't have a need to step on the forward end fully extended by all means its their perogative to flip them the other way.
That's all hogwash. Ford didn't build them to accommodate window cleaning for short people. That sounds absolutely ridiculous. You have that in writing anywhere? If anything, the holes in the sidesteps would line up with the doors in order to do their job for the occupants. And the larger side up front to stop more debris like rocks, dirt, sand and mud....if anything. And the logo is in the front...if you switch them around.

Last edited:

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The correct way is probably the way they came from Ford. I highly doubt they messed that up but it is possible. There are several legit reason to have the larger part up front like I mentioned. To aid in catching more debris so it doesn't hurt the truck. However....I think the logo looks better up front and the cutouts look perfect IF you reverse them. It's pretty crazy and wouldn't fault anyone for going one way or the other.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's all hogwash. Ford didn't build them to accommodate window cleaning for short people. That sounds absolutely ridiculous. You have that in writing anywhere? If anything, the holes in the sidesteps would line up with the doors in order to do their job for the occupants. And the larger side up front to stop more debris like rocks, dirt, sand and mud....if anything. And the logo is in the front...if you switch them around.
Maybe hogwash in your mind simply because the company doesnt publish their compliance requirements or standards doesnt mean it doesnt exist. There is some truth to the concept in principle in some federal vehicular codes that may had been carried over to cover some requirements on the safe side.

Tell me then how would someone clear this out standing from the ground unless their shoulder is at 6foot 3?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_220748_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_220748_Chrome.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230726_165010_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_165010_Gallery.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 30

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The correct way is probably the way they came from Ford. I highly doubt they messed that up but it is possible. There are several legit reason to have the larger part up front like I mentioned. To aid in catching more debris so it doesn't hurt the truck. However....I think the logo looks better up front and the cutouts look perfect IF you reverse them. It's pretty crazy and wouldn't fault anyone for going one way or the other.
Based on logo placement for the raptors my thinking is the raptor designation labeling went on the rear and they kept the ford name toward the front and back. Ford loves to place their name everywhere they can but preserve the raptor name probably from avoiding diluting the sub brand all over the car. Similarly to how they began using mustang on other cars like the ev i can see how theyre trying to use raptor across different lines like the ranger and bronco. The last thing they want is to enable and encourage people into faking their fake raptors so make a standard that makes it obvious to those who know a real one and not.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe hogwash in your mind simply because the company doesnt publish their compliance requirements or standards doesnt mean it doesnt exist. There is some truth to the concept in principle in some federal vehicular codes that may had been carried over to cover some requirements on the safe side.

Tell me then how would someone clear this out standing from the ground unless their shoulder is at 6foot 3?
Because it benefits someone in one aspect doesn't mean it was designed in mind for that aspect. It's a Side "STEP". Why are grooves cut into the side STEP? Why do they align with occupant entry WHEN REVERSED much better? That aspect IMO is the largest single aspect that says they should be the other way around. Larger cut outs, larger door, medium cutouts smaller back door, even two little ones I assume for the rear of the cab. You have admit, it looks retarded stock in terms of the cut-outs. Maybe the best case would have been to reverse the cutouts and leave the board with the larger end stock orientation. Although, I like it with the logo up front like a fender badge would be and the narrow end up front so I'm set just reversing them.
SIDESTEP1.PNGSidestep2.PNG

Last edited:

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it benefits someone in one aspect doesn't mean it was designed in mind for that aspect. It's a Side "STEP". Why are grooves cut into the side STEP? Why do they align with occupant entry WHEN REVERSED much better? That aspect IMO is the largest single aspect that says they should be the other way around. Larger cut outs, larger door, medium cutouts smaller back door, even two little ones I assume for the rear of the cap. You have admit, it looks retarded stock in terms of the cut-outs. Maybe the best case would have been to reverse the cutouts and leave the board with the larger end stock orientation. Although, I like it with the logo up front like a fender badge would be and the narrow end up front so I'm set just reversing them.
View attachment 417698View attachment 417699
As i mentioned before the original cutouts are from the piece designed for the original f150 based on mounting points and length fit to the truck. This piece was already made before the raptor was released. They contract out an oem supplier make several batches of them, why create a brand new one when it's already mass produced. Stamping the logo is always an easy thing because thats just a custom request to an already manufactured part. When a high volume truck like the f150 is produced, parts bin availability is prioritized first to maximize margins but my suggestion of why they flipped it most likely is one of the first reasons they did it. People who want to think they know better than ford want to argue they made a mistake in flipping it. I rather practice less hubris and consider the arguments of why they probably flipped it on the raptor for a purposeful goal than say it was a simple mistake.

Car manufacurers do whatever they want to serve their intended purpose and meet production requirements. Lamborghini in the early days used nissan headlights on the diablo when they did a refresh. They simply put a trim over the logo of nissan to cover it.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m actually surprised that people are still arguing about this. Who tf actually cares what Ford was thinking when they mounted the side steps? Either flip them or don’t, y’all have way too much time on your hands.
The argument or debate only continues when one refuses to consider the true possibilities. I simply stated a logical conclusion that a few refuse to accept and continued to state my reasons why it makes sense.

I really dont care either way about this subject but those that simply say ford made a mistake in how they were installed simply want to tell themselves they know better. The part was stamped with the proper side and theres a reason why they made that choice.

To take 5 minutes of my time to remind others to rethink some things isn't a waste of time especially when this world needs that more. Cancel culture is a thing that has caused this world to stop using their minds simply because people are afraid to speak out when they get attacked or come off as the minority.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As i mentioned before the original cutouts are from the piece designed for the original f150 based on mounting points and length fit to the truck. This piece was already made before the raptor was released. They contract out an oem supplier make several batches of them, why create a brand new one when it's already mass produced. Stamping the logo is always an easy thing because thats just a custom request to an already manufactured part. When a high volume truck like the f150 is produced, parts bin availability is prioritized first to maximize margins but my suggestion of why they flipped it most likely is one of the first reasons they did it. People who want to think they know better than ford want to argue they made a mistake in flipping it. I rather practice less hubris and consider the arguments of why they probably flipped it on the raptor for a purposeful goal than say it was a simple mistake.

Car manufacurers do whatever they want to serve their intended purpose and meet production requirements. Lamborghini in the early days used nissan headlights on the diablo when they did a refresh. They simply put a trim over the logo of nissan to cover it.
So your argue....discussion is that on a 75K truck they were lazy and cheap? If that is the case I would be disappointed even more in Ford than a design or stamping flaw.