Suspension when hauling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E Daddy Dog

Reaction score
Have a 6000lb unloaded camper that the family and I weekend warrior it up in summertime. Now I have never had any issues with the suspension except it squats. Never had any terrible sway at highway speed and stopping and going power is good. Have had the camper 3 years and love the trips. I am using an equalizer wdh and was adjusted and installed by the camper dealership when purchasing. Of course since then weight has been added to the camper. I’m driving it out of a campsite stop to pick up the family and of course an expert approaches my woman and I see him talking to her. She gets in the truck and says the guy told I should look into adjusting my torsion bars.
So of course the whole ride home I’m thinking about this and got to work the next day to add washers to the wdh to increase weight distribution to the front axel. Measuring the front end over and over and adding washers only to take them off, just ended up adding 1 washer in the end to change the hitch angle. It still sags. Believe me I’ve seen a lot worse trucks hauling with the ass squatted much more than this.
Nice long story to get to my real question and that is if continued with this sag has anyone experienced any drivetrain or suspension issues while towing or after. Also has anyone ever applied an airlift suspension system to assist with the sag and make a smoother ride. Also do the airbags cause any changes in ride quality or suspension travel? I mean really our truck’s suspension travel is so badass that it really can handle a lot. Here’s some photos for reference. Some are on level ground and some are not. The last picture was taken prior to my final recent adjustment where I only added one washer but measured that the weight distribution was 160% so had to adjust and take a washer out to decrease the angle. And help is appreciated and love the forums. Visit on a weekly basis.

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpeg
    IMG_1497.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1532.png
    IMG_1532.png
    874.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1538.jpeg
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 76

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is a Raptor, has 1/2 the payload (and 1/2 the towing) of a regular F150. If you put an 10,000lbs trailer on an F150 it would look exactly the same and all the torsion bar adjustment in the world won't help.

Same as F350 with 25,000lbs.

You are at 90% capacity of your truck.

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Suspension travel has little to do with towing/haul capacity. In fact under current examples it would prove to be quite the opposite.

F250/350 only has about 4 inches Suspension travel.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Way more trailer than I would probably tow with any 1/2 ton truck. That thing is a big sail in a cross wind. The wind catches that trailer and it is going to Eph that Raptor up in a ditch.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Way more trailer than I would probably tow with any 1/2 ton truck. That thing is a big sail in a cross wind. The wind catches that trailer and it is going to Eph that Raptor up in a ditch.
It’s 75% the towing capacity of a Raptor & anywhere from like 45-60% of a “standard” F150 depending on configuration….so you sound pretty exaggerated IMHO. You can configure an F150 to tow 14k lbs….I probably wouldn’t come too close to that if it were my truck but I’d certainly tow 10k lbs w/ a 14k lb rated truck & just like I’d tow 6k lbs w/ a 8k lbs rated truck….roughly 70-75% of advertised capacity….which probably has another 10-15% of safety wiggle room in it anyhow if we’re being honest

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maximum towing capacity for most vehicles is pretty much the point where misery becomes life threatening. I figure useful towing capacity at half the spec for any vehicle not specifically designed for towing.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s 75% the towing capacity of a Raptor & anywhere from like 45-60% of a “standard” F150 depending on configuration….so you sound pretty exaggerated IMHO. You can configure an F150 to tow 14k lbs….I probably wouldn’t come too close to that if it were my truck but I’d certainly tow 10k lbs w/ a 14k lb rated truck & just like I’d tow 6k lbs w/ a 8k lbs rated truck….roughly 70-75% of advertised capacity….which probably has another 10-15% of safety wiggle room in it anyhow if we’re being honest.
I just did a quick hip shot, for some reason figure raptor towing was 7000. (Super crew is 8000)

My memory was off, either way 10,000 lbs behind a f150 rated for 14,000 would be the same results.

14,000 lbs is 2wd, regular cab 3.5 ecoboost with pretty much no options.

The actual max towing on the average F150 (non raptor) is in the 10,500- 11,000lbs area.

Also I wouldn't think that there is any extra "safety margin" when it comes to the vehicle itself. That is setting yourself up for tragedy I promise. Unless of course your lawyer will be able to change the definition of the word "maximum "

I don't tow daily but over the course of my life I have towed quite a bit. I have also seen a lot of towing fails. Seen people killed.

A flat bed trailer with 1/4 thick sheets of steel plate weighting 9000 lbs (or even 6000 for comparison sake) is not the same as a travel trailer (or any fully enclosed trailer).

You do you, but you are not using the best tool for the job. Which puts you, your family and others at risk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just did a quick hip shot, for some reason figure raptor towing was 7000. (Super crew is 8000)

My memory was off, either way 10,000 lbs behind a f150 rated for 14,000 would be the same results.

14,000 lbs is 2wd, regular cab 3.5 ecoboost with pretty much no options.

The actual max towing on the average F150 (non raptor) is in the 10,500- 11,000lbs area.

Also I wouldn't think that there is any extra "safety margin" when it comes to the vehicle itself. That is setting yourself up for tragedy I promise. Unless of course your lawyer will be able to change the definition of the word "maximum "

I don't tow daily but over the course of my life I have towed quite a bit. I have also seen a lot of towing fails. Seen people killed.

A flat bed trailer with 1/4 thick sheets of steel plate weighting 9000 lbs (or even 6000 for comparison sake) is not the same as a travel trailer (or any fully enclosed trailer).

You do you, but you are not using the best tool for the job. Which puts you, your family and others at risk
I tow double jet ski trailer that the average soccer mom can pull w/ her subie bud I think I’m all set