Suspension question to you experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory designed parts are made to absorb energy and give the driver the best feel while still being able to use it like is was designed. Any rubber in the system will absorb energy and not transfer it to the driver. If you remove it you will get a better feel and response but in turn it will wear out faster and will need lots more maintenance.
Each has its benefits and faults. If he is willing to take care of the tierods and arms he will get a better feel but more road energy will transfer through the steering wheel.
For me the 3.0 shocks were the best change.

OP
OP
M

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The factory designed parts are made to absorb energy and give the driver the best feel while still being able to use it like is was designed. Any rubber in the system will absorb energy and not transfer it to the driver. If you remove it you will get a better feel and response but in turn it will wear out faster and will need lots more maintenance.
Each has its benefits and faults. If he is willing to take care of the tierods and arms he will get a better feel but more road energy will transfer through the steering wheel.
For me the 3.0 shocks were the best change.

Thanks. Looks like shock improvement seems to be the way to go.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd probably replace the rear leaf springs and go mid perch before anything else. I think the three leaf setup with lift block in the rear is the only thing Ford could've done better without substantially increasing the purchase price. On-road, rear wheel hop is my biggest annoyance.

That said, if you or your buddy has access to Raptors with suspension mods you may want to try before you buy. Seat of your pants feel is subjective and what we all say is an improvement might not be depending on your friends preferences. Most of the suggestions in this thread will firm things up in some way which may not work well for your friend if "better" means a softer ride with little vibration etc. transmitted to the driver.

Also, like Hockster said, other than leaf springs many suspension mods will require increased maintenance to continue performing their best.

Last edited:

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Progressive rear springs is a must do. The three leaf stocks are insufficient. About all they're good for is scrap metal.
I have National Springs from RPG

OP
OP
M

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Help me understand. I have not experienced any rear wheel hop on pavement with my rear spring stock set up. I will ask him if he has had a problem with that but how does that improve the ride on the highway? I think he already has mid Perch. Thanks