GEN 2 Strange Behavior - Battery Going Dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got in the truck tonight - rarely drive at night. Noticed my ambient lights were off. Turned them back on. Then noticed CarPlay wasn't working (worked earlier in the day). Rebooted the Sync system, still nothing. Fiddled around in the vehicle settings and saw CarPlay was switched off on the Sync system. Switched it back on and it worked again. Then the ambient lights were off again. Turned those back on. Strange.

Any ideas here? Truck turns over fine. Could the Sync system have updated itself and I didn't know? I'm still on the original battery from 2019.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Maybe. Might be going into deep sleep mode if you are not driving it much. Load test the battery. Check for Sync updates.

OP
OP
REMIX

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Might be going into deep sleep mode if you are not driving it much. Load test the battery. Check for Sync updates.

I had driven it earlier that day. It sat all Saturday and then I moved it yesterday to wash...started fine and remembered CarPlay this time. The electronics in these are so strange.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last week i was backing up and the alarm red light on driver side with no motive.
2 days later my alarm for low wiper fluid show on display, with weird screen.
3 days ago music volume go up and down.
this morning start truck and gremlins are enjoying front display,
go to my local dealership and one guy at dealership was very nice and test the battery,take 2 hours and 50mn.
after one hour(they were busy) they change battery.
after 4 years and 7 months .

just info for owner of 2019.

Attachments

• raptar battery.jpg
    raptar battery.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Untitled video.gif
    Untitled video.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had a few batteries only last a couple months in past few years.
Defects like anything else.
"You never know"
Once in a while I get lucky, had a couple cheap Walmart batteries last 10+ years in my John Deere garden tractor.
And last Interstate in my Bronco worked just long enough to get past warranty 25 months :(

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the gremlins come back!
Advisor told me is still drivable but i drop to dealership.

Hal993

Reaction score
Gets really strange on a weak battery. Load test the battery.
To add another confirmation to this known fact:

My original AGM (FOMOCO) battery was showing between 12.5 and 12.36v with the truck off and float charge removed. That's not great, but the truck cranked perfect and no alerts or lights ever came on.

I was planning on replacing it anyway, and the night before I was going to get the battery... the blinker started to swing hard. "ta- taaa- ta- taaaaaa- taaa- ta- taaa-" - instead of a consistent rhythm. The Voltage shown in "measurements" on the dash kept fluctuating. That was the final clue.

At any rate, Costco has a H7( 94R) for $169. I picked one up - charged it overnight (AGM specific charger - you can get marine terminals to put on the post when off the truck and use whatever AGM charger you have). This morning I put the new battery in and reset the BMS. (perfect fit!)

The blinker is back to a steady rhythm and I swear the truck shift smoother. crazy.

All that to say, if you are over 3yrs on the battery and/or odd things are happening, check the battery! Even though we think the alternator ought to keep things rockin' - a bad or weak battery can cause absolute havoc with the many, many sensitive systems that we have in these trucks.