Stealth Black Raptor R initial thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dellis777

Reaction score
1. Day to day daily driving, it’s a bit sluggish, the truck just wants to be floored if you really want to feel what you spent your money on, otherwise I dare say my 2021 eco boost for daily driving might have been better. The Pro is when you punch it, it’s glorious, but are we all here flooring our raptor r every chance we get? Probably not. Think Tesla plaid, I’ve owned one, and that shit gets old.
Man I'm so glad you said this. I kinda felt like I was going crazy and now that someone else has said exactly what I've been feeling I know I'm not crazy. I've been daily driving a gen2 with an aggressive tune for 5 years and still daily drive it. When I drive the R it feels lazy, like it doesn't want to go until you kick it then it comes to life. It also doesn't grab gears like I feel like it should at lower speeds. As soon as I can put this thing on a dyno with a new pully I'm doing it. The gen 2 with a tune just wants to go all the time feels effortlessly, if that makes sense.

The truck looks great with the stealth on black.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The small turbos are in boost a lot, even when you are not even close to WOT loads. That "in boost 25% of the time" is the feeling you liked with the small, turbo charged engine.

In the same scenario on the larger S/C engine- the bypass valve in the blower is normally open and you get no boost, since it doesn't need boost to pull itself along at that same load. If you need more power, as you found out, you have to put your foot in it. You have to go deep enough into the throttle to remove vac from the bypass valve, then it closes and the blower is fully "in effect". In that case, it's putting down another 50% (at least) over what the smaller turbo engine could do.

It's pretty much a Jekyll and Hyde setup. As long as the bypass is open- it's like a normal 5.0L truck (feeling kinda slow with the huge ass 37" tires) . As soon as the bypass closes- it makes full boost at any RPM instantly and it feels like a 500+ cu in big block.

The answer is out there- the OEMs are scared of it since they can't keep a drivetrain behind it at a price they like, it's spelled "t u r b o V 8"

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The small turbos are in boost a lot, even when you are not even close to WOT loads. That "in boost 25% of the time" is the feeling you liked with the small, turbo charged engine.

In the same scenario on the larger S/C engine- the bypass valve in the blower is normally open and you get no boost, since it doesn't need boost to pull itself along at that same load. If you need more power, as you found out, you have to put your foot in it. You have to go deep enough into the throttle to remove vac from the bypass valve, then it closes and the blower is fully "in effect". In that case, it's putting down another 50% (at least) over what the smaller turbo engine could do.

It's pretty much a Jekyll and Hyde setup. As long as the bypass is open- it's like a normal 5.0L truck (feeling kinda slow with the huge ass 37" tires) . As soon as the bypass closes- it makes full boost at any RPM instantly and it feels like a 500+ cu in big block.

The answer is out there- the OEMs are scared of it since they can't keep a drivetrain behind it at a price they like, it's spelled "t u r b o V 8"
That's all true (probably). But the TRX doesn't seem to act the same way.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Curious when you say 'sluggish' do you find the 37 V6 has more pep in the low range or are you just saying you expected more out of R throughout entire range?

Dellis777

Reaction score
I've never been in a TRX so I cant say. Maybe its just because I've been driving a tuned Ecoboost for 5 years and this is very different. When you launch the R is pretty nuts and at higher speeds its pulls and pulls. Its the midrange that I find disappointing. It might just be tranny tuning but I'm no expert. The ecoboost in the midrange is very peppy but I haven't driven it stock virtually since I bought so I don't remember what it was like when it was stock.

robl3577

Reaction score
I've never been in a TRX so I cant say. Maybe its just because I've been driving a tuned Ecoboost for 5 years and this is very different. When you launch the R is pretty nuts and at higher speeds its pulls and pulls. Its the midrange that I find disappointing. It might just be tranny tuning but I'm no expert. The ecoboost in the midrange is very peppy but I haven't driven it stock virtually since I bought so I don't remember what it was like when it was stock.
So, I've got a 2019 with an MPT tune along with the R and I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Nothing crazy aggressive. Just their standard tune for a Gen2. I describe the tuned Gen2 as a hyena on steroids and the R as a lion. It's the aftermarket tuning that makes the gen2 so peppy. My wife doesn't like to drive the Gen2 bc when you touch the throttle it jumps. Before I put a tune on it, it felt like my previous F150 platinum. BUT, even though the baby Rap has more pep, it will never catch the R bc the power just keeps going in it.
When I test drove a TRX, it felt very similar. I wasn't all that impressed after driving my tuned G2. If you read on the TRX forums, you'll see a lot of those guys putting pedal monsters or pedal commanders on and thats what I did to the R. It takes the sluggish right out of it. The engine makes plenty of power, its just the pep that is disappointing. You can make the R jump as hard as you want with a pedal monster, just like your tuned Gen2. The difference is you almost can't find where the power runs out on the R. That thing just keeps pulling until you turn chicken and let off.
$200 and it doesn't void your warranty like a tune would.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The TRX is heavier and has less gears in the transmission. So the engine is literally under a heavier load, plus the engine has less mechanical advantage due to less gears in the transmisssion. Therefore the TRX engine is under higher load all of the time compared to the Raptor R, and closer to being in boost by just giving it a bit more throttle. If the R had 35's it would be even harder to get it into boost.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
So, I've got a 2019 with an MPT tune along with the R and I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Nothing crazy aggressive. Just their standard tune for a Gen2. I describe the tuned Gen2 as a hyena on steroids and the R as a lion. It's the aftermarket tuning that makes the gen2 so peppy. My wife doesn't like to drive the Gen2 bc when you touch the throttle it jumps. Before I put a tune on it, it felt like my previous F150 platinum. BUT, even though the baby Rap has more pep, it will never catch the R bc the power just keeps going in it.
When I test drove a TRX, it felt very similar. I wasn't all that impressed after driving my tuned G2. If you read on the TRX forums, you'll see a lot of those guys putting pedal monsters or pedal commanders on and thats what I did to the R. It takes the sluggish right out of it. The engine makes plenty of power, its just the pep that is disappointing. You can make the R jump as hard as you want with a pedal monster, just like your tuned Gen2. The difference is you almost can't find where the power runs out on the R. That thing just keeps pulling until you turn chicken and let off.
That's definitely an easy fix and will be first thing I do when getting R. For those wonder which is better pedal commender or pedal monster found a good comparison https://official.bankspower.com/tec...9.1997922476.1696084356-1504668028.1696084355.

Dellis777

Reaction score

I have the exact same setup even down to the tune from MPT. I remember when the Pedal tuners were really popular with Polaris Turbo S. I never bought one as I just opted for a real tune as I thought the pedal tuners were kinda cheesy. But if you guys are saying they work good im willing to give it a go. Does anyone have any insight on when we we will be able to start tuning the R?