Shock upgrade...worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ModFreaksRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I just purchased the Icon bump stop setup. I just wanted the extra protection for the rear end. Do the leaf springs just add more rigidity to the rear end? I'm on the fence about more suspension mods as I want to increase WHP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question and opinion....upgrading from stock shocks worth the $$$$?

Truck will be used mainly on the street with the occasional high speed dirt-gravel road blast....no low speed off roading/rock work....

SO here is my 2 cents on this. I had a 2010 Scab all stock no upgrades and loved the way it felt on the road and off road. Firm but still plush and handled what i handed it when I asked it. What I didnt like was the rear wheel hop, it was horrible!!! felt like the ass end was gonna break!... When I got it home my GF said the grin on my face was as big as it could go... I traded it in for a 2012 Screw and when I got home with it my GF asked how I like it, I said I like its a great truck. Ha ha I didnt fool her 1 bit she says well you dont seem as happy as you were with your other truck and she was right. I didnt like the stock ride at all. It seems heavy and felt a bit loose on the road and off road.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Icons and wow my GF said well it looks like that happy grin is back, and it was! I was happy every time I drove the truck and off road WOW!!! What a change!!! But, it still had plenty of rear wheel hop. I then decided to get a set or rear springs and the change from running just Icons and running Icons with new rear springs was as much as moving from the stock shocks to the Icons. Now there is no rear wheel hop at all...

So, the cost was 4200.00 for the shocks and 1000.00 for the springs but it felt like a 20000.00 improvement.

So for what its worth from me I wouldnt hesitate 1 second to get new shocks again!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO here is my 2 cents on this. I had a 2010 Scab all stock no upgrades and loved the way it felt on the road and off road. Firm but still plush and handled what i handed it when I asked it. What I didnt like was the rear wheel hop, it was horrible!!! felt like the ass end was gonna break!... When I got it home my GF said the grin on my face was as big as it could go... I traded it in for a 2012 Screw and when I got home with it my GF asked how I like it, I said I like its a great truck. Ha ha I didnt fool her 1 bit she says well you dont seem as happy as you were with your other truck and she was right. I didnt like the stock ride at all. It seems heavy and felt a bit loose on the road and off road.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Icons and wow my GF said well it looks like that happy grin is back, and it was! I was happy every time I drove the truck and off road WOW!!! What a change!!! But, it still had plenty of rear wheel hop. I then decided to get a set or rear springs and the change from running just Icons and running Icons with new rear springs was as much as moving from the stock shocks to the Icons. Now there is no rear wheel hop at all...

So, the cost was 4200.00 for the shocks and 1000.00 for the springs but it felt like a 20000.00 improvement.

So for what its worth from me I wouldnt hesitate 1 second to get new shocks again!!!

Now did the ride get harsh or did it stay the same on the road? I like the way it soaks up bumps etc on the highway but hate that rear end mushy feel....I don't mind the dive etc.....

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now did the ride get harsh or did it stay the same on the road? I like the way it soaks up bumps etc on the highway but hate that rear end mushy feel....I don't mind the dive etc.....

Its smooth as hell. I do not feel and harshness it just feels comfortable yet firm. With my setting as I have them( lightest I can get right now)

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every one will have different opinions on upgrading springs, shocks and adding bump stop kits.
Mine is to wait and don't rush in to upgrading the suspension.
I got one of the first RGP stage 3 kits and am currently running Fox 3.0's all around. My advice would be just enjoy the truck for now, due your home work and then upgrade if it makes sense for you.. Ford and FOX put a lot of time into engineering the ride characteristics of our trucks. When we start adding and changing we now become the engineers.

There is great debate regarding the longevity of the aftermarket springs and with some manufacturers having issues with sagging.
Don't forget to factor in that the 3.0 shocks are recommended to be rebuilt every 20-30K miles.

With that said, I finally got my truck dialed in and am loving it again.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'll go this route after a few thousand more miles. Have the RPG stage 2 now but have driven in other trucks with the shock upgrades and holy you know what! Big Diff!

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do springs and bumps first. It eliminates wheel hop and the truck rides smoother, on and offroad. The improvement is worth the money and time spent.

As for shocks, it's well worth it if you are doing high speed offroading often. The difference is as big as going from a normal f150 to a raptor.
If you are doing lower speed offroading, or have choppy pavement, stay away from the icon coilovers, even as soft as they can go, they are still very stiff due to the digressive damping and high spring rate.
I'd say wait until the stock dampers let go, then upgrade, and have the stock shocks rebuilt for use as back ups.
The on road ride with the 3.0's is slightly rougher with the fox's, and a lot rougher with the icon's. For on road comfort, the stock coilovers are hard to beat. The stock rears seem to be a bit rougher than either 3.0 offering though.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 90k on my 2011 SCrew and am working on having the shocks rebuilt. I have been working with an outfit out of Kerrville, Texas who says they have a full set that came off a 2011 SCrew at FOX being rebuilt. In the Meantime, I have bought some 'slightly' used rear shocks from Skyler's SCrew (I know, I know, she claims she took these off before things got crazy). lol My question is, to date, have all Raptors shipped with 2.5's?

Also, is it true that the stock shocks are different between a SCrew and Scab?