ScanGauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a truly surprising finding. Like I said, that is most certainly frustrating, and something I've never had happen to me, in multiple vehicles no less.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for an analog Volt gauge mounted on the steering column.

To bad those SVT boys could not send us a LCD software gauge upgrade.

woutvc

Reaction score
I just checked my Ultragauge on my 2014 SCREW
The display goes off, when the engine shutdown and the display comes on when I start the engine.
All is working fine.
My settings
Power detect On mode = 2
Power detect off mode = 0

I know the ultragauge uses a small amount of the battery when left in the OBD port.
But it shouldn't drain your battery.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just checked my Ultragauge on my 2014 SCREW
The display goes off, when the engine shutdown and the display comes on when I start the engine. All is working fine.
My settings:
Power Detect On Mode = 2
Power Detect Off mode = 0

I know the ultragauge uses a small amount of the battery when left in the OBD port. But it shouldn't drain your battery.

Off course it shouldn't drain my battery! But with a new, fully charged battery under the hood I got a battery low warning on the dash while programming the UltraGauge - TWICE, the second time with a 6 amp battery charger actively charging the battery. The company can't explain that, and came very close to calling me a liar. They want me to set the unit to the factory defaults and start completely over. That'll mean setting up the unit for the Raptor and going through the whole gauge selection process again.

For the record, here is the company's return policy as it was sent to me in the course of the on-line customer service discussion I've been having with them:

Units exposed to cigarette smoke can not be returned. Such units if returned will receive no refund and will be discarded.

Returns must be received within 30 days of the delivery date in order to qualify for the 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Mounts which have been removed from their protective plastic bag can not be returned

Send returns to:

UltraGauge Returns
PO BOX 2777
Canyon Lake, TX 78133-0014

Please return the unit in original condition with all contents including:
UltraGauge
mount, if purchased
Windshield mount bracket
Velcro, if purchased
Yellow information sheet insert
Internal cardboard packaging
plastic protector bags

Please use a twist tie to bind the cord.
Be sure to carefully repackage so that items can not move around in the box. Otherwise damage will occur.

They made it pretty clear that they enforce their return policy stringently, and that if something is left out I won't get my money back.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I reset the factory defaults in the manner suggested by UltraGauge Customer Support. Once again as I was configuring the UG to the truck (engine size, fuel tank size, etc.) and doing the gauge selections I was interrupted by a low battery warning light on the dash of the truck. This is with a new, fully charged Sears Diehard Platinum battery AND with a 6 amp battery charger plugged in and charging the battery. Once again I've had to stop doing the gauge selections in order to let the battery charge. The whole scenario is repeating even though I've reset to the factory defaults. This is f***ing ridiculous.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After resetting the UltraGauge to the factory defaults as the company specified, I left it plugged in and the Battery Tender recharging the battery overnight. After 18 hours of charging, the Battery Tender still showed a steady red LED. At 7:07 AM this morning I unplugged the UltraGauge and left the Battery Tender charging, and by 7:13 AM the Battery Tender showed a blinking green LED.

This is the same thing that happened before - no coincidences here. It is evident that the Battery Tender cannot fully charge the battery with the UltraGauge plugged in because the UltraGauge either draws too much power, keeps the truck's electronics active, or both. They have NOT solved the battery drain problem, at least not for the 2011 Ford F150 SVT Raptor.

I have struggled with the UltraGauge for well over a week, and it has been an aggravating experience to put it very mildly. I will be sending it back to the company for a refund. The UltraGauge is simply not compatible with my truck. Let owners of 2011 Raptors beware.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The company's response:

Date: 01-13-2015 08:47:32
Name: UltraGauge

UG draws very, very little power:
UltraGauge Technical Support Help Desk - Knowledgebase

Battery tender is to maintain a battery that has no load. UG and other minor loads in the vehicle likely combine to overwhelm it.

If you just ignore the battery tender, I think you will find that your battery is in fact not being drained.

Best regards,

UltraGauge Support
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
Support is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9-5pm Central Time

Does this seem right? Given what I've experienced with the UltraGauge, I can't help but be doubtful. The web site says, "Even in low power mode, UltraGauge does draw a little power, about equivalent to that of 1/250th of a 60watt light bulb." That's .024 watts or .002 amps. But since the Battery Tender puts out 1.25 amps, it seems to me that it should eventually show a steady green LED with the UltraGauge plugged into the vehicle's UBD port. But it won't, so I can't help but question the company's veracity. Somebody help me out with this.

Last edited:

woutvc

Reaction score
From my experience UG draws very little power.
I installed it yesterday and left it overnight and had no issues starting the car.
Even in my previous pick-up, I left it for several days without an empty battery.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor

Have you tried, or looked at, the Aeroforce gauges? I had 2 of these in my Cobra and they were awesome. Not as flashy as the UG, but I never had any issues with them at all. Display's two parameters at a time statically or you can set it to scroll through a set of user configurable parameters as well. Fits in a gauge pod also so you could put it in the Roush boost gauge pod that goes in the air vent if you wanted. Not sure if it will have the same problems with battery drain as the UG, but it looks less complicated so I would think it might be better.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No sir, Jordan, I am unfamiliar with the Aeroforce gauges. I'll look at them, although I am justifiably disaffected with highly electronic gauges. All I really wanted is a damn volt meter. If the UltraGauge doesn't work out I'll be very tempted to just buy an Auto Meter volt meter and a Roush Performance vent gauge pod. Since Aeroforce wants $250 for their gauge and I've come to dislike OBD-based gauges, it doesn't seem a likely prospect.

UPDATE: UltraGauge is evidently NOT going to extend their 30 day return policy to 60 days. I've requested it twice, and they've not responded to the request.

UPDATE: UltraGauge's response to my request to extend their 30 day return policy to 60 days:

"The return policy is fixed at 30 days from the date of delivery."

Last edited: