RPG's new Steering Tie Rods!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know one thing.. I am not concerned about this failure ppl are talking about... I know testing can cost lots... Since most labs need 10-15 parts for real base but, I have tested with 1 or 2 parts as long as I was not trying to generate a torque spec for assembly... If it were me doing this pull I would try to find a way to measure the tension at the failure point.. Since what you are doing is only for ***** and giggles... How about Like 5 or 6 different size cables for the hook up... Like 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2... Knowing the break strength of the cable at least you will got some idea where the thing pulled out... and i know it would be fun as hell!!! Shit, if I was around ya Id do this for the fun of it...

Ah Ha,

And this is why you are a man of experience that others should listen to. Great Idea.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WTF... :Jedi:
I just spend the past two evening catching up on this thread... I figure, I got the awesome tie rods, I should learn some more about them...

This tread had everything. The hype the smack the who cares... damn it man... it had everything... everything that is but the F'ing results...

Nothing like leading a man on and then not performing... ouch...:shocked::flipthebird:

hope you guys know I'm kidding... :mwah1: but I'd love to see if the test was ever completed....

p/s I'll be reading the Power Steering Reservoir threads while I wait...

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WTF... :Jedi:
I just spend the past two evening catching up on this thread... I figure, I got the awesome tie rods, I should learn some more about them...

This tread had everything. The hype the smack the who cares... damn it man... it had everything... everything that is but the F'ing results...

Nothing like leading a man on and then not performing... ouch...:shocked::flipthebird:

hope you guys know I'm kidding... :mwah1: but I'd love to see if the test was ever completed....

p/s I'll be reading the Power Steering Reservoir threads while I wait...

I will be testing the Power steering reservoir with ak47 to make sure it is the bullet proof solution for the Raptor... Lol

-Greg

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Hockster,

I totally agree with you. We do know someone who can confirm with an Instron test but they want us to pay a pretty penny for it. And right now that really isn't do-able. The real point of putting them on a frame straightner is just to give people a comfort zone of knowing the rod-end isn't going to pull out of the rod. Honestly, both the factory tie-rods,RPG tie rod or any other most likely will not fail at that point for the reason Birdman said. Remember, the majority of the time Tie-rod failure happens at the balljoint, or some other part of the rod. You would have to go sideways as all hell and then slam into a boulder for this to ever even be an issue. And if that happens, stuff has gone down hill real quick anyway.

Personally, Do we feel like taking a perfectly good tie-rod with very expensive hardware and break it? Not really, but if it puts our customers minds at ease, then it will get done.

Its funny, when you google Tie-Rod failure the majority of pics show every kind of breaking BUT the topic at hand. So we are not really concerned about this at all. Its just all in good fun.

Thanks

Has any other maker of aftermarket tie rods tested their setup ? Or even had an in depth dicussion as was done here ?

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read through this. I liked it, lots of good discussion. One thing I feel absolutely NEEDS to be pointed out though. 300M is nowhere near as strong as 4340, I really can't stand for that sort of claim to get thrown around. 300M is basically the same material as 4340 with a bit of extra silicon thrown in. That makes it somewhat better for fatigue life but nothing else really. The real crux of the problem is the heat treat. Without heat treating, neither one is any better than normal steel and poor heat treating can be even worse.

Don't get me wrong, I think these are a neat product and that they're probably better than stock, it's just that I'm mostly in charge of our heat treat department at work and we do a lot of 4340 so I'm pretty familiar with it.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Another somewhat technical question: Have you seen any failures of the tapered pin that takes the place of the original tie rod end in the knuckle? That's a pretty long piece with a good sized lever arm on it and it's in single shear. Is it also made of 300M and heat treated? If so, what hardness level are you going to?