Rigid D2 Blowing Upfitter Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richmeyer

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with D2s blowing upfitter fuses? I've triple checked all the connections, everything is sound and all the wire looks good. Could something internal to the light cause a fuse to blow? TIA.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not familiar with the D2's but my first question would be what are they rated at for wattage and max amp draw? Second is what Aux switch are you using and what amp fuse are you blowing? LED's seem to either work or they don't typically. You could be running into heat related resistance that's causing the problem. Heat is the enemy of electronics and silicon based components in general. As heat increases so does resistance which then draws more amps to keep output consistent. This is why cheap LED's suck and the good ones are expensive, the design and engineering that goes into the heat sinks and all those machined fins are all to remove heat from the circuits and diodes. What guage wire are you using also, voltage drop or high resistance in the wire could also be at play.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
id check the passthru/upfitter connections under the dash first, make sure nothing is shorting out on the sharp metal under the dash.

unplug the light and see if it still blows when you turn the upfitter on. if it doesn't it could be the cube.

OP
OP
R

richmeyer

Reaction score
id check the passthru/upfitter connections under the dash first, make sure nothing is shorting out on the sharp metal under the dash.

unplug the light and see if it still blows when you turn the upfitter on. if it doesn't it could be the cube.

Connection under dash look good, never thought of trying the switch without the light. That will be my next step, thanks!

OP
OP
R

richmeyer

Reaction score
what did you find??

To be honest, nothing. Replaced the fuse and they have been fine so far. Checked upfitter switch, rechecked connections, inspected wires; everything looks ok. I'm guessing its internal to the light. The cases are looking pretty worn and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some moisture intrusion somewhere. I've been having intermittent issues with these things since I bought the truck. I'm too stubborn and cheap to just replace them.