Review: Fold A Cover G4 Elite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update!

This cover has almost 40k miles on it now, with several thousand of those spent off road covering the gambit of terrian; slow stuff, fast stuff, washboards, rocks, mud, sand etc etc... it still looks brand new (when I actually bother to clean the thing) and it functions as it did day one. With the exception of one detail (explained below) I couldn't be happier with the performance of this cover so far.

So about that detail... there are two plastic caps at the tailgate end of the cover, that pop into the ends of the rails. These are a nice finishing piece, and they serve to keep the weather stripping in place.

Here's what one looks like when new.
top9.jpg

And here's what one looks like today:
1.jpg

Actually, both sides are missing. I 'discovered' that they were missing during one of the DV runs, when I almost had lost that weather stripping too. It was half way hanging out, the plastic cap long gone. Since I was looking then, I noticed the other plastic cap was barely hanging on for dear life.

I was able to shove the weather stripping back in place, and I used my pliers to crimp down on the channel, basically clamping the stripping in place. And I did the same on the other side too, since it was just a matter of time before it disappeared also.

So that's how it is today. Its not the prettiest, but its fully functional so I'm ok with it.

But like I said, other than that, this cover has performed above and beyond my expectations. Still one of the best mods I've made to the truck.

TruckGuy616

Reaction score
Update!

So that's how it is today. Its not the prettiest, but its fully functional so I'm ok with it.

But like I said, other than that, this cover has performed above and beyond my expectations. Still one of the best mods I've made to the truck.

Hey BigJ, I'm a representative from Fold-a-Cover and came across your review. Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome write-up on our tonneau cover! We really appreciate it, and are very happy to hear you are enjoying your G4 Elite Cover!

Glad you got the rear blade seal to stick down properly. Most often they don't adhere well for two reasons...either it was too cold when applied so the glue didn't activate, or not enough pressure was applied to it after attaching it. Either way, glad you were able to get it back on and attached! On that note, you were right, the design is made so that you should close the tailgate, then close the cover to make sure you don't pinch the seal.

As a "thank you" we'd be happy to send you some new end caps for your cover to make it look like new again! PM me your address and we'll get a pair out to you right away :)

I spoke with someone in manufacturing about why they may have fallen off, and our guess is that with the off roading, the body/bed flex is pushing that end panel into the caps, and over time the the screw loosened and eventually came out. His suggestion (depending on what you have in the bed at the time) is to simply fold up the cover behind the cab and snap it in place with the 3 straps when you are off road. That should help prevent it from happening again!