Retrax creaking sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorTurboS

Reaction score
Hi all.

I’ve had my aluminum Retrax cover for a couple months and I think it’s great in general.

A few weeks ago I started noticing a high-pitched creaking sound when hitting decent sized bumps. I initially thought it was my suspension, but I figured out the sound is coming from the rear cover most likely.

I called Retrax’s customer service and asked if there are any common areas on the cover that are known to creak/squeak over bumps so I could either lubricate it or add cushioning. They told me this is normal and part of the design since it needs to move some since the bed is technically also not rigid.

Anyone else experience this? If so, did you find any problems areas I can address to lessen this sound?
It’s not horrible, it’s just annoying.

Thanks!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure your clamps are tight and your bed spacing is correct. Make sure the bolts that hold the little white stoppers haven't come loose. I've had to lock tight mine. There are a LOT of various bolts that can loosen up on that cover. I'd recommend going through them all to make sure they're tight. Also pay attention to the latch mechanism. There are adjustments there as well.

Does the sound change at all if you drive with it all the way open? Does it stay open or slide? I've seen the friction lock take a digger on one.

OP
OP
RaptorTurboS

RaptorTurboS

Reaction score
Make sure your clamps are tight and your bed spacing is correct. Make sure the bolts that hold the little white stoppers haven't come loose. I've had to lock tight mine. There are a LOT of various bolts that can loosen up on that cover. I'd recommend going through them all to make sure they're tight. Also pay attention to the latch mechanism. There are adjustments there as well.

Does the sound change at all if you drive with it all the way open? Does it stay open or slide? I've seen the friction lock take a digger on one.

Thanks for your input. I plan to check all the bolts and make sure nothing is out of alignment. I still haven’t had a chance to test it with the cover opened vs closed.

I’ll post an update if there is something that was an definite fix.

image98

Reaction score
I have the same on my truck. So far I have been pretty happy with it, but I had to retighten some things after my first 6 months of driving.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this is the exact issue I"m having now. I did find some of the clamps slightly loose but it didn't do anything to solve the problem.

I have noticed that the sound decreases if the cover is retracted, but there is a "slight" creak still.

What was ever determined here?