Rebuilding OEM shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Normally, if there is no oil leakage, topping off nitrogen will help bring back the life of the shocks..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

So greg, where do I go to "top off the nitrogen"?

There is no real way to "top off nitrogen" the best thing to do completely expel all of the nitrogen and recharge the shock to the specified PSI. It takes about 2 minutes longer to do it this way but it is much more accurate.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, let's say I decide to first go the recharging of the shock...can it be done while on the truck and should a typical shop know how to do it and if so, what we be a typical cost (i.e. the mid-perch adjustment was two hours of labor)?

As to the full rebuild, obviously the shocks need to be removed so I am looking at labor plus the cost of the parts. Same question, would a typical shop know how to re-build these shocks?

Just asking.....

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to remove the shock to check and recharge. As for a shop being able to rebuild them for you. I'm sure someone around can do it but myself and Evilmonkey have not found anyone around us. We have been able to rebuild both rears in about 5hrs start to finish with a 45min round trip to the local Yamaha dealer for nitrogen.