Rebuilding a 6.2 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I’ve been obsessed with modulars for couple years now. Lots of tensioner problems there. The cheaper composite style fail a lot. Seems like the 6.2 got the good stuff.

I think I can confidently say they're cast looking at this. Makes sense as they use these engines in Super Duty's as well. I know the part was definitely stout in the hand.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like the beginning of a fun project. what are the plans for rebuild, stock or upgrades?

Yeah, that's a great question. My options right now seem to be either a stock build or a build and then whether I keep it as a spare, swap it out with mine (if built), or sell it for money. Nothing I really need to make a call on until I can really get in and assess what condition it's really in and what's really needed here.

Currently leaning more towards keeping it as close to stock as I can and selling it. Logic being 1) I already don't know what the hell I'm doing so probably have no business trying to do a big build. This is more of a learning exercise 2) Cost associated with a big build 3) No interest in doing another engine replacement anytime soon 3) extra money would be cool for other mods.

Makes sense to me and, more times than not, the logical side of me tends to prevail. Gift and a curse.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my situation is unique. Building an engine is something I've always wanted to learn how to do. Engine was free and it's not out of one of my own vehicles (no down time) so it's a win-win. In the end, I'll have learned a lot and will either have a spare motor or make a money.
Fair warning though for those following, it's gonna probably be a slow road, as I don't have a lot of urgency to rush to finish and have very little spare time as it is. Just something to tinker on in my spare time.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a few.

If I were building up, forged rods and compression ratio change.. Then I'd build.

If not I'd get an engine from a lower miles wrecked 6.2 super duty and just swap in raptor cams and year specific stuff like valve covers...

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair warning though for those following, it's gonna probably be a slow road, as I don't have a lot of urgency to rush to finish and have very little spare time as it is. Just something to tinker on in my spare time.
no no no. this is not allowed. you better hurry up and finish my motor. why do you think im gonna pay you so much? you know $100 in mexico goes a long way.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a few.

If I were building up, forged rods and compression ratio change.. Then I'd build.

If not I'd get an engine from a lower miles wrecked 6.2 super duty and just swap in raptor cams and year specific stuff like valve covers...

Awesome! Thanks for the insight. Maybe I can reach out with questions?

no no no. this is not allowed. you better hurry up and finish my motor. why do you think im gonna pay you so much? you know $100 in mexico goes a long way.

I got you brother! But for real, the guy I got the engine from is fully set on 'build up and swap' where I'm leaning more toward 'slap it together and sell'. Told him that if I wanted to put a built motor in my truck, I'd want it to be built by somebody who knew what the hell they were doing and from a motor that didn't spontaneously eat itself for no apparent reason haha. Also not excited about doing another engine swap any time soon.

Anyway, had a little free time to finish the tear down yesterday. Was quick, easy, and drama free. One of those rare wrenching days. Almost didn't know what to think.

Pistons yanked:

p4MIK5G.jpg

Yeah... That's normal, right?

StCipoN.jpg

Only real visible gouge on the the cylinder wall:

7SosbA3.jpg

View of the head. Looks like the majority of the impact happened right where the upper plug well comes in. The rest isn't too terrible. Even the clean spots on the valves aren't bad.

gP2pgLD.jpg

Random pictures I took of stuff before I took it off so that I can hopefully remember where it came from:

2rVZIv5.jpg

tLbX724.jpg

vaIfVKc.jpg

aT591tn.jpg

Only engine I've seen that uses SIX bolts of two different sizes to hold the bearing caps on. Four up top (note one has a stud for the oil pickup):

3y0Wz82.jpg

And two each from the side:

CwadJQL.jpg

fGkvEDn.jpg

Caps are stamped with a number for their position and arrow for orientation so that's nice:

xFiW9br.jpg

Crank:

uioyVGh.jpg

Yanked the rest of this stuff out and that was that:

qqAeOgA.jpg

So what I've been able to determine so far is where it failed (pin bore on the piston), but not what caused it. I haven't been able to see any signs of a spun bearing at first glance, but again, I don't know what the hell I'm looking for. I emailed a machine shop last week and heard nothing back. I'll try and call a couple this week and see what the next step is.