Raptor Sales Alltime Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are lot sitting on lots tho. Depends on the dealer. Theres a smaller dealer near my work (Orange County CA) with about 12 sitting there. I went to kick tires on them and they are stuck at 15k over firm. Some have been there for over a month. Not exactly selling like hot cakes...

The problem, at least at this particular dealer, is that with the initial hype you had 1-2 guys with deep pockets willing to pay whatever and the dealers thought they represented the masses. This dealer bought up all kinds of allocations, probably at 5k over or something, forcing them to sell at 15k ish over. Greedy ass dealer....

i hope that dealer chokes on them

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor used to be a high 40s, mid-50s truck loaded and now it's a high 60s truck, 70s truck loaded.

You want a garage door opener? $9k. Keyless entry? $9k. Nav? $9k. Seriously a Raptor with navigation (standard on every Hyundai and Kia for like $15k) is $65k. That's embarrassing.

Ford is alienating their own customer base. There are a ton of guys who will still splash the cash, but after the initial rush of sales dies down, it's going to be a slower seller than the first gen truck.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Raptor, but it's very, very far from the performance truck bargain that it used to be.

You're missing my point... my point is that with the Raptor, what you're paying for at the base price are those things that come standard on the Raptor that aren't even available on the Hyundai and Kia that you mentioned.

As for the Raptor no longer being the performance truck bargain that it used to be, you're absolutely right; now it is a more complete product. Even the best iterations of the Gen I (the 6.2L trucks) took an existing motor/transmission that was available in the F250, coupled that with an existing frame from the F150, created some application-specific body panels, and hung some application-specific suspension off of it. While they're certainly great trucks, they were derivative in nature (in that they were largely derived from existing products).

By comparison, the G2 has had a LOT more application-specific engineering that went into it; it has an application-specific motor, an application-specific motor/trans calibration, and an application-specific frame in addition to the application-specific things that were present on the G1 (the suspension and body panels). The development of those application-specific things takes time/costs money... and results in a more refined overall product.

For a similar comparison, look at the Mustang GT. Back in the day, it was entirely possible to get a pretty nicely optioned GT Fox body and still come in under $20k. Why, then, do they now start at $33k? Well, they no longer share a chassis with a Fairmont, for one... and it shows. The overall Mustang driving experience is now MUCH more refined than it used to be. Smoother ride, better handling, less NVH, more power, better mileage, better safety, more features... more money. It's an all-around superior product. Has the higher price kept some people out of Mustang GTs? I'm sure it has... however, there are still plenty of people buying them (and those people are getting a superior product by comparison), so was it really the wrong direction to go?

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
You're missing my point... my point is that with the Raptor, what you're paying for at the base price are those things that come standard on the Raptor that aren't even available on the Hyundai and Kia that you mentioned.

As for the Raptor no longer being the performance truck bargain that it used to be, you're absolutely right; now it is a more complete product. Even the best iterations of the Gen I (the 6.2L trucks) took an existing motor/transmission that was available in the F250, coupled that with an existing frame from the F150, created some application-specific body panels, and hung some application-specific suspension off of it. While they're certainly great trucks, they were derivative in nature (in that they were largely derived from existing products).

By comparison, the G2 has had a LOT more application-specific engineering that went into it; it has an application-specific motor, an application-specific motor/trans calibration, and an application-specific frame in addition to the application-specific things that were present on the G1 (the suspension and body panels). The development of those application-specific things takes time/costs money... and results in a more refined overall product.

For a similar comparison, look at the Mustang GT. Back in the day, it was entirely possible to get a pretty nicely optioned GT Fox body and still come in under $20k. Why, then, do they now start at $33k? Well, they no longer share a chassis with a Fairmont, for one... and it shows. The overall Mustang driving experience is now MUCH more refined than it used to be. Smoother ride, better handling, less NVH, more power, better mileage, better safety, more features... more money. It's an all-around superior product. Has the higher price kept some people out of Mustang GTs? I'm sure it has... however, there are still plenty of people buying them (and those people are getting a superior product by comparison), so was it really the wrong direction to go?

Dude, stop making sense...!! It's all about the sound of that old V8. Ah yeahhhh that SOUND....! :lol2:

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Raptor is definitely the biggest rip as far as Raptors go. Dealer markups have been around for decades but the real problem is the price in general.

In theory you can buy one for $48,800 but in reality it's more like mid $50s for a very spartan truck. If you want basic features that most people have come to expect in a new vehicle, you're looking at $62,500 before you check any other boxes. We're talking features that come standard on stuff at half the price. Ford marketing purposely did this to squeeze as much profit out of every Raptor as possible.

In reality most Raptors, particularly dealer lot orders, are about $70k. You could def option up a 2014 into the $60s but that was for all of everything. Now $60s is essentially the price of entry. And we're not talking about a truck month F150 that sells for $14k off sticker. Of course this is going to hurt sales. Might not see it now, but in subsequent model years without a doubt.

I am happy to wait for invoice and see what option packages show up in 2018 or maybe 19. I am in no rush.

My 14' loaded without the goofy blue interior or the graphics package was $57kish. Similarly equipped now is close to $62k. I still can't believe they want $9K for that one package.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 14' loaded without the goofy blue interior or the graphics package was $57kish. Similarly equipped now is close to $62k. I still can't believe they want $9K for that one package.

This exactly. And just 3 years later.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So, I'm guessing that you would say that a strengthened frame, upgraded shocks, and an additional 70 ft/lb for your current truck wouldn't be worth $5k?

Reaction score
I offered a local dealer $2500 over MSRP via their "Make a deal" option on their web site. Their response was "we are not offering any discounts on the Raptor at this time." Their asking price? $15k over MSRP ($80k), but they're representing that as sticker price. Who pays $80k for a Ford F-150?

I wouldn't be surprised if sales start to level off because there's only a certain kind of buyer with FU money that will pay that much.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This exactly. And just 3 years later.

You have to be kidding me. You guys are acting like the Gen 2 is a small refresh or something. It's a completely different truck. To me the Gen 2 is worth a whole lot more than $5k over the Gen 1. If you don't feel that way then be happy there's now a lot of Gen 1's out there for sale for you to buy.