Raptor Sales Alltime Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overboost

Reaction score
There are a TON of Raptors sitting on dealer lots in different parts of the country, that part is true. They are all marked up over MSRP. Personally I dont have a problem with dealers doing this, They sell the majority of their vehicles UNDER MSRP so when one comes along that they can make a little more money on why not try? I wont pay over MSRP but someone else might. My local dealer sells their Raptors at MSRP and when someone passes on their order the salespeople call all of their customers and the truck sells that day. I was 30 minutes late getting there 2 weeks ago on one that real close to my order but some football player got there before me. I bet if you guys (around those dealers who have them sitting on the lot) hit them up late on the last day of the month you might get one to sell at MSRP.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Raptor is definitely the biggest rip as far as Raptors go. Dealer markups have been around for decades but the real problem is the price in general.

In theory you can buy one for $48,800 but in reality it's more like mid $50s for a very spartan truck. If you want basic features that most people have come to expect in a new vehicle, you're looking at $62,500 before you check any other boxes. We're talking features that come standard on stuff at half the price. Ford marketing purposely did this to squeeze as much profit out of every Raptor as possible.

In reality most Raptors, particularly dealer lot orders, are about $70k. You could def option up a 2014 into the $60s but that was for all of everything. Now $60s is essentially the price of entry. And we're not talking about a truck month F150 that sells for $14k off sticker. Of course this is going to hurt sales. Might not see it now, but in subsequent model years without a doubt.

I am happy to wait for invoice and see what option packages show up in 2018 or maybe 19. I am in no rush.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comment above. Way to long. Only read the last paragraph. Disagree with the last paragraph. Most car dealers are slime balls. Buying trucks is one of the biggest pain in the ass. I got my truck MSRP but then they ***** me on trade in. Dealers are not your friends. They just want you to believe that's the case.

I never said they weren't slimeballs. I said that I understand their mindset and business approach. Plus, let's be honest... it's not the price of the new vehicle where people usually get ***** by the dealer... it's the trade in, processing fees, add ons, and (especially) financing.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

This Raptor is definitely the biggest rip as far as Raptors go. Dealer markups have been around for decades but the real problem is the price in general.

In theory you can buy one for $48,800 but in reality it's more like mid $50s for a very spartan truck. If you want basic features that most people have come to expect in a new vehicle, you're looking at $62,500 before you check any other boxes. We're talking features that come standard on stuff at half the price. Ford marketing purposely did this to squeeze as much profit out of every Raptor as possible.

In reality most Raptors, particularly dealer lot orders, are about $70k. You could def option up a 2014 into the $60s but that was for all of everything. Now $60s is essentially the price of entry. And we're not talking about a truck month F150 that sells for $14k off sticker. Of course this is going to hurt sales. Might not see it now, but in subsequent model years without a doubt.

I am happy to wait for invoice and see what option packages show up in 2018 or maybe 19. I am in no rush.

How many of those vehicles at half the price of the Raptor have 450 hp? Ten speed transmissions? Strengthened frames? Model-specific body panels and high performance suspension? Reconfigurable drive modes?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the Raptor is a high margin product for Ford... that's the nature of (most) top-of-the-line products.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of those vehicles at half the price of the Raptor have 450 hp? Ten speed transmissions? Strengthened frames? Model-specific body panels and high performance suspension? Reconfigurable drive modes?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the Raptor is a high margin product for Ford... that's the nature of (most) top-of-the-line products.

Raptor used to be a high 40s, mid-50s truck loaded and now it's a high 60s truck, 70s truck loaded.

You want a garage door opener? $9k. Keyless entry? $9k. Nav? $9k. Seriously a Raptor with navigation (standard on every Hyundai and Kia for like $15k) is $65k. That's embarrassing.

Ford is alienating their own customer base. There are a ton of guys who will still splash the cash, but after the initial rush of sales dies down, it's going to be a slower seller than the first gen truck.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Raptor, but it's very, very far from the performance truck bargain that it used to be.

Gilligan

Reaction score
Well if you can't get a new one you can always find a J1 poverty Raptor. They're on used car lots everywhere.... :lol2:

Wrong again.... Obviously it depends on what area, but there are 8 gen2's within 50 miles of me and only two gen1's. Both for around the same price as I paid new 3 years ago :win::win:

Reaction score
There are no Gen2s sitting at our dealership. Every one that has come in has had an owner before arrival. When it gets here we clean it, process it, and the owner drives it off the lot the next day!

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the first one ive seen at a local dealer is a black 802 screw with base wheels and no graphics.. $10k markup.. been sitting for 3 weeks. probably the most desirable color and options combo.

I think the OP is correct because people arent willing to pay the markup