Protect Your Rubber, Spare that is....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It could have also been dirt that was trapped between the tire and frame that caused the abrasion on the tire, rather than just from rust.

-Dan

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It could have also been dirt that was trapped between the tire and frame that caused the abrasion on the tire, rather than just from rust.

-Dan

I agree that dirt,sand,salt and water are contributing factors to this problem. Another thing I have noticed is that the tire moves around a bit on rougher roads it's not the most secure mount. One last issue is that as the air temp goes up and down the psi in the tire changes, so will the amount of pressure between the frame and tire. Colder = looser.

I think cutting some think plastic spacers will help with the rust issue but not likely the potential damage that the dirt/sand may cause. I guess it is possible that as the tire moves a little and psi goes down the spacers may fall out unless they are mounted to the frame somehow.

One thing I have done is I replaced a set of tires (G.Y. Duratrac) long before they were worn out so now I have half used spare I don't care so much about. I run that same tire on all three sets of non snow wheels so I now have good condition used spares for each set.

I also went a little crazy and bought a bunch of the OE beadlock wheels and have found a problem with the beauty/beadlock rings. Having that rim as a spare it is difficult to regularly wash during winter. The bolts face up and so salty water and in summer mud and sand are trapped there and cause issues. My answer is to use one of my original stk 2011 rims as a under bed spare for each set except my Methods.

Hi my name is W.G. and I have a wheel & tire addiction!! Hope that helps