Preparing for Major Surgery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made good progress this weekend and got the passenger side turbo in. The coolant line in the back is definitely tricky. There is more stress on the slip fitting than I would like. Only time will tell if it will hold.

Hope to get the drivers side buttoned up next weekend.

More pictures coming.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picture of the passenger side turbo below. You can somewhat see how the rear coolant line, while together, isn’t perfectly straight. This was after a lot of struggling but making sure that the gasket in the slip fitting was where it should be. I assume this is normal?IMG_0024.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m a President’s Day weekend away from having this job done. My only real problem is the coolant line slip fitting in the picture above (the one on the back of the block on the passenger side). I can see in a mirror that the gasket in the slip fitting is all distorted, it doesn’t look like it is all the way in there. I’ve ordered a new coolant line and try that. I think my sin here was not getting the coolant line slip fitting all the way together. I pushed as hard as I possibly could using coolant as lubricant. That said, it just wouldn’t go all the way together.

What have others used to lubricate the gasket in these slip fittings to get them all the way to the bottom of where they are supposed to go. The shop manual says to use coolant. Is that enough? Should I be using something else?

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten both turbos back on the truck and gotten past the heat shield debacle.

The passenger side stock turbo heat shield had to come off completely. I was able to keep the drivers side heat shield by grinding down the head on one of the heat shield bolts. Hopefully it won’t rattle. I’ve can get a piece of cardboard between the head shield and the manifold demonstrating that there is at least some clearance.

Goal is to do the plumbing and get it running this weekend. Can’t wait to see how it sounds.