Place a call, AA shows connected, but Sync switches to radio audio...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hal993

Reaction score
I have this same issue with an iPhone 11. It happens at random times - sometimes in the middle of a call. hmm.

OP
OP
gdflynn1

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started noticing this on mine as well. I am using an Iphone 11. Don't remember if it happened while selecting the call on the phone or using Carplay and voice commands. When it does show up on my car screen and the radio kicks on, the radio starts playing really loud. I think the radio starts playing at the volume level the phone is at while on a call. The phone volume through the car speakers needs to be much louder than the radio playing through the speakers.
As a side note, I have never received any OTA updates for my truck in the 2 years I have had it.
FYI - i am fully updated with OTA's in my '21 and the problem still exists.

T8ter

Reaction score
I have had the same issues in my truck since I switched to Android earlier this year. The only work around I have found is to make the phone call as normal, then switch your phone to speaker for a second, then switch back to Bluetooth. It's a major pain, but it's better than nothing. I have no clue why it works after that. If someone calls me though it works perfectly without the extra steps. My truck and phone are completely up to day as well.

OP
OP
gdflynn1

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same issues in my truck since I switched to Android earlier this year. The only work around I have found is to make the phone call as normal, then switch your phone to speaker for a second, then switch back to Bluetooth. It's a major pain, but it's better than nothing. I have no clue why it works after that. If someone calls me though it works perfectly without the extra steps. My truck and phone are completely up to day as well.
I do that on occasion as well. The odd pattern I have found is that once a call works, the issue disappears. So if I make a call while entering the car and it switches to Bluetooth as the connection to AA is made, the subsequent calls all work. The issue is trying to start a call after AA is connected for the first time. Very strange. Like i said previously, the native Sync connection via Bluetooth always work so I am leaning to this being an AA issue/bug. A super annoying inconvenience. First world problems.

bounsmith21

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, after an incoming call works fine. I have found for outgoing calls , if I go into the phone settings in the truck and just change it to bluetooth - no android auto, the outgoing call will work fine. Bit of a pain but it works