Parking lights, DRLs, Wiring - you name it, I got questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snodogpete

Reaction score
Long(ish) post incoming:

I ordered a ridiculously awesome set of new headlights from Dawson at RaptorRetrofit (woo customer service/turn around time/pricing), and just got them in over the weekend. I had him do the double "evil eyes" style rings around the projectors, with the inner rings a sweet blue to match the interior of the truck/theme I'm going with, and the outer rings are white, just because.

After looking at the pictures he sent during the build, and discussions with a friendly local law enforcement official, I have decided it is in my best fiscal and legal interests to only have the blue eyes run when the vehicle is not in motion.

So, my two part question is:

1) Are there any lights on the Raptor that only are on when parked/unlocking the vehicle that I can run (splice, hook into, tap, whatever. I have no experience in this sort of thing) the blue evil eyes to? I'm picturing them as sort of "waking up eyes" as opposed to the white "wide awake and angry eyes."

and

2) Are there any lights on the Raptor that are only on when the engine is running/driving? Would like to use the white evil eyes as a sort of DRL, and to differentiate myself from the 4 other Raptors in the community of like 30,000 people I'm currently in. (Sidebar - 4 Raptors in this community, and they all have to be black? Come on people.)

I currently keep my lights on auto, because I'm lazy, but am not opposed to having to turn the headlights on manually. Just would be nice not to have to flip switches to turn on and off to have the rings glow.

Also, any general tips on what not to do, so I don't kill myself/lose a body part/Ferrari-roast my truck would be greatly appreciated.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is only 1 wire i can think of that will turn on when you open the vehicle and turns off when you are driving. that is the dome light wire. if you want to turn something on while driving, you can get the ignition wire. this will be on anytime the vehicle is on.

as far as tips, make sure to fuse all your connections and dont guess at wires. if you need wire colors and locations, let me know.

OP
OP
S

Snodogpete

Reaction score
there is only 1 wire i can think of that will turn on when you open the vehicle and turns off when you are driving. that is the dome light wire. if you want to turn something on while driving, you can get the ignition wire. this will be on anytime the vehicle is on.

as far as tips, make sure to fuse all your connections and dont guess at wires. if you need wire colors and locations, let me know.

Gonna say a big thank you and yes to the last sentence. Definitely could use colors/locations.

To show off my noob-ness, could there be damaging repercussions to taping into the ignition wire?

OP
OP
S

Snodogpete

Reaction score
use it to power a relay. if there is too much current draw you will blow a fuse

Ok, after doing some google sleuthing (like I said, suuuuperrr noob to this stuff), it seems I need to use the ignition wiring to turn on another switch-thing (the relay, I think) that turns on the rings. Ja?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. the relay is just a switch to connect 2 larger, higher current wires together. wiring can be confusing but once you know how it works, its very simple.