One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

memheli

Reaction score
I read the owners manual and found no mention of using any other fuel grade other than 87. Did I miss something in the manual or are folks that run higher octane just wasting their money. I mean if the truck doesn't adjust timing for higher octane on the fly than it seems like a waste to me. Octane is a combustion inhibitor after-all right.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ethanol free gas gains me a good mpg from my tests. Luckily I can get ethanol free gas up here for most of my local jaunts.

Seems like mountain/higher elevation driving nets a higher mpg.

Still averaging in the 15s for the lifetime of my SCAB (which I do believe get better gas mileage). My worst tank I think was 12.8 on the SDBR. Otherwise, even off-road, I'm usually still in the 13s or 14s (at least). 15s are common for higher speed dirt trails at 60-70 mph+

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WyoStorm wrote: "Ethanol free gas gains me a good mpg from my tests. Luckily I can get ethanol free gas up here for most of my local jaunts. Seems like mountain/higher elevation driving nets a higher mpg."

I have found both of the those statements to be true. My climbing trips to Colorado have always netted remarkable MPG figures at altitude, and when I can find non-ethanol gas at a reasonable price my mileage benefits measurably.

But e30 makes Wilson happy, so who's to say?
:crazy:

Last edited:

manovo

Reaction score
mpg

i keep reading on the forum between 15 and 20 mpg, i am doing 8 mpg, off road mode is off, am i missing something?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nobody with a raptor is getting close to 20mpg

Oh, you can top that on a good downhill stretch with a tail wind and the stereo up really loud. :) But no Raptor gets anything better than 17 mpg, and even that is driven conservatively under favorable conditions.

It's just physics and no matter how you try to slice it, the Raptor is a 6,000+ pound monster, is as aerodynamic as a brick, is powered by a large displacement high performance engine, has comparatively low gearing, and big heavy tires that are optimized for off-road traction rather than high fuel economy.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, you can top that on a good downhill stretch with a tail wind and the stereo up really loud. :) But no Raptor gets anything better than 17 mpg, and even that is driven conservatively under favorable conditions.

It's just physics and no matter how you try to slice it, the Raptor is a 6,000+ pound monster, is as aerodynamic as a brick, is powered by a large displacement high performance engine, has comparatively low gearing, and big heavy tires that are optimized for off-road traction rather than high fuel economy.

I got 17.9 driving from Seattle to Portland with the BFG's at 46 PSI. It was driven conservatively and with traffic. Rolling MPG was around 18.5-19. 62-67 mph average in ~75* weather.