Oil pressure drop under acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheC-Don

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did an oil change and installed a Fumoto valve. Went to check pressure in gauges and had approximately 30 psi at idle. Under acceleration it dropped to around 20 psi. I have never looked at this gauge while driving so not sure if that has been going on with my truck. No leaks under truck and cap is on tight.
Truck:
2019 19,000 miles
5-30 Pennzoil platinum

Anyone have any info?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Normal.

Post FSA 21B10, oil pressure runs at around 30 PSI at idle. In gear it drops to 20-23PSI. If you put the engine under load via moderate to heavy acceleration, it ramps to to ~60 PSI.

Oil level does not affect oil pressure unless the sump runs dry.

OP
OP
TheC-Don

TheC-Don

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal.

Post FSA 21B10, oil pressure runs at around 30 PSI at idle. In gear it drops to 20-23PSI. If you put the engine under load via moderate to heavy acceleration, it ramps to to ~60 PSI.

Oil level does not affect oil pressure unless the sump runs dry.
Okay great! Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As long as you see 60 psi + under load your good . 30 plus at idle if oil temp is 165deg or higher. If oil is cold it will idle 23 psi till reaches temp. I don't start running it hard till oil temp is 180 deg. Unless someone is acting a fool I will get into some boost at 150 deg oil temp.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
If you monitor a real-time data log under WOT acceleration from a stop or near stopped, the oil pressure will dip.

The issue is that the deep sump of the oil pan is at the rear like it should be BUT, the oil pickup tube is at the front of that rear sump.

Under peak acceleration three things happen. The oil pressure/flow is ramped up which sucks more oil from the pan, the oil runs to the back of the pan away from the pickup, and the pump picks up a gulp of air and the pressure drops.

As the initial hit acceleration and pressure increase settles, there is no longer a problem potential. However, there’s been much discussion on this phenomenon in other threads.

At first I didn’t think much of it, but after I logged it myself, I see there is a definite potential for a bearing problem, ESPECIALLY if the oil level is even a little low. The problem was identified by Adam (@zfgracing) who discovered the issue while tuning drag racer engines. He “fixed” it by adding a 1/2 qt extra oil. There is now an aftermarket oil pan that fixes the potential for momentary oil pump cavitation and bearing failure. Try the link I posted above.

A forum member (I think it was @Gsteve) spun a bearing that was likely caused by this issue.