GEN 2 Offroad Drive Modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MostSecretAgentMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport mode - by far for me the best feeling all around. From there just adjust between 2H, 4H or 4A and the locker. I like it for road, dirt, mud so far. Sport mode is sharp and predictable.

Normal mode - Is definitely sluggish. Start / stop doesn't bother me at all though. Fine for quick runs to the store.

Baja - I don't know... I don't feel like it's needed with sport mode. I guess if you're actually in a race for money and the anti-lag is crucial... but I don't feel like I ever notice lag in sport mode.

Mud / Sand - Meh... but TBH I haven't been in anything super deep or soft sand. So maybe then it will shine. Again sport mode felt great in mud.

Rock - haven't tried.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport mode - by far for me the best feeling all around. From there just adjust between 2H, 4H or 4A and the locker. I like it for road, dirt, mud so far. Sport mode is sharp and predictable.

Normal mode - Is definitely sluggish. Start / stop doesn't bother me at all though. Fine for quick runs to the store.

Baja - I don't know... I don't feel like it's needed with sport mode. I guess if you're actually in a race for money and the anti-lag is crucial... but I don't feel like I ever notice lag in sport mode.

Mud / Sand - Meh... but TBH I haven't been in anything super deep or soft sand. So maybe then it will shine. Again sport mode felt great in mud.

Rock - haven't tried.

For me the sports mode has a lot harder shifting than standard. I love how it shifts quicker in sport, but the hard shifts are a little worrisome. Maybe I need to just get use to it.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Standard is by far the smoothest mode on my truck on shifting gears

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Does the transmission on sports mode need a "learning" period like standard? That might account for the hard shifts. The standard mode took about 2 weeks to smooth out for me. Only used the sport mode a few times because of how it reacts on shifting. Not bad, but not as smooth as standard.

MostSecretAgentMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me the sports mode has a lot harder shifting than standard. I love how it shifts quicker in sport, but the hard shifts are a little worrisome. Maybe I need to just get use to it.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Standard is by far the smoothest mode on my truck on shifting gears

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Does the transmission on sports mode need a "learning" period like standard? That might account for the hard shifts. The standard mode took about 2 weeks to smooth out for me. Only used the sport mode a few times because of how it reacts on shifting. Not bad, but not as smooth as standard.

Sport definitely engages harder than normal but I feel like that's smooth, just a different type of smooth. Coming from a manual car, I'm used to that harder engagement of the trans. Normal feels watered down. Like I want just a tad more.

I'm not sure about the learning this truck does, I just crossed 2k miles and mostly everything feels fleshed out.

Stop sign to stop sign, sport mode will feel.... confused you could say. The revs will be way high and stick while you're trying to slow down.. like its saying come on man keep going.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a perfect explanation of how it drives. Very good to know that's normal for sports mode. Was worried for a little bit, but if that's how it normally operates I'll use it more often and adapt to it.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My take on snow so far.

Weather/Snow mode on highway/roads:
Driving on snow and ice packed roads with other vehicles trying not to kill yourself or someone else and being safe about it weather/snow mode works well. It drastically reduces throttle response to keep you from ripping the tires loose. Sometimes going up steep hills the throttle response is almost too sluggish. The traction control kicks in at any hint of slippage which can be a good thing with these conditions. I dont recommend turning traction control or anything else off if you are just trying to make it home with other people on the road.

Road Example (packed snow/ice):
thJ4eh1.jpg

Weather/Snow mode offroad with drifted and deep snow:
Using weather/snow mode offroad where you have to bust through drifts and have a high potential of getting stuck weather/snow mode is absolutely horrible. The throttle response and traction control do not allow you to keep momentum up or allow you to keep your tires spinning enough to keep you from getting stuck. Turning off traction control does help some but with the truck being in 4A instead of 4H without the locker youre not getting maximum traction for deep snow.

For deep and drifted snow offroad or back roads where getting stuck is a real possibility:

Mud/Sand mode is what you want. Mud/Sand mode puts the truck in 4H, locks the rear, and allows you to keep momentum up, tires spinning, and doesnt reduce throttle response. A lot of people dont think of mud/sand mode for deep snow but its essentially the same ideas; you need to keep momentum up, tires spinning, and not have traction control interfere with any of your forward progress. This not only applies to the Raptor but any vehicle that has fancy terrain modes. My sister kept getting stuck in the snow with her LR4 in "snow" mode until I showed her that her mud/sand/rock mode locked her front and rear diffs which was miles better than what "snow" mode was providing and since then she has been able to get herself unstuck successfully.

This is a video of 1-3ft deep drifted snow with the truck in mud/sand mode:

As you can see by the bumper I was plowing deep snow.
N9aFVyj.jpg

No modes (normal) just selecting 4A or 4H in snow:

4A in normal mode with ice/snow packed roads does well. It doesnt drastically reduce throttle response like Weather/Snow mode does. It allows you to slip a little more and be a little more aggressive while driving.

4A in normal mode with deep/drifted snow works ok but not as well as mud/sand mode. 4A in normal mode with traction control off will get you somewhat closer to what mud/sand mode gets you without being locked or being in 4H.

4H in normal mode with ice/snow packed roads is overkill. You really dont need to be locked in this situation.

4H normal mode in deep/drifted snow works pretty decent. Works just like any 4wd truck for the most part. Traction control kicks in a lot so I would recommend taking it off to keep momentum up. Locking the rear in 4H normal mode, traction control off gets you close to mud/sand mode.

I can see why the engineers decided on "terrain modes" for this truck because there are so many combinations of things to turn on or off it could get overwhelming for someone not exactly privy to offroading or not knowing exactly what each system is designed to do in the truck. It takes some of the guess work out of everything for the weekend warrior first time offroad types.

My suggestion to Ford would be to make it clear that mud/sand mode works VERY well in deep/drifted snow and that weather/snow mode is absolute trash which will just get you stuck and wondering why your truck failed you. Weather/Snow mode is for on-road packed snow/ice driving scenarios only and if youre going to get stuck put the truck in mud/snow mode or put the truck in 4H, locker on, and traction control off.

Cliffnote version:

On-road packed snow/ice roads weather/snow mode works if you want to be super safe.

Do not use weather/snow mode in deep snow where youll get stuck because you will.

Use mud/sand mode in deep snow where you will get stuck.

Use normal mode switch to 4H, locker on, traction control off to mimick mud/sand mode.

To closely replicate mud/sand mode put the truck in sport mode, 4H, locker on, traction control off.

Last edited:

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching the power distribution display while in 4A in sport mode, nannies full off, steering in sport mode. I wish I had made a video because it's a tad rough to watch obviously. What I did see was most of the power staying to the rear wheels until I really romped on it and the distribution to the front was almost seamless. If I push into a drift, let off to promote oversteer, then stab it, it literally snaps straight, so you better have your line picked because it's going that way. It takes a bit to get used to because I got the feeling I was in 2WD until it redistributed. A little unnerving actually. It is def going to be my preferred mode as I am on the beach at speed and REALLY need the rear dif locked.
Baha mode almost got me real stuck because it doesn't lock the rear (which is retarded IMO), weather/snow is too gutless, and the LO range is too slow, albeit mongo powerful.
I would be willing to spend good money on having the ability to lock the rear in 2WD as that was my mode in my '10 for most everything I do. Just my .02. And yes, I tripped on the curb at Starbucks. All beach runs were in Mexico BTW.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptizzle

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Raptizzle nice to see solid reviews and feedback from a respected member that has earned their off road cred. I knew the new Raptor would be fun can't wait to see how the build goes.

Thanks ox. Yeah it was time to get a little more real content up here about the gen 2's versus all the tuner trucks and street races we keep seeing!