OEM G3 Rear Under Seat Storage Retrofit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my 2023 G3 off the lot and it was missing two options that I would have selected if I was ordering the truck. One is the rear under seat storage. The other is the tailgate step. I have since learned that you have to get the twin moon roof panel to get the tailgate step, so I may have not gotten it because I do not like the moon roof. Anywho, on to my post.

I ordered all the factory pieces to retrofit a factory storage compartment into my truck and thought I would share for anyone else who may want to do the same.

While I was at it I also purchases the plastic piece that closes out the driver side (larger) cubby. I really liked having things stored there on my past trucks, so I wanted to add that too.

IMG_1242.jpeg

After I received all the parts, I used a friends truck as an example and removed his storage tray to see what it looked like underneath. What I found was four circular cutouts in the carpet for the four mounting feet of the storage tray.

Here is what it looked like:

IMG_1235.jpeg

I noticed that the four bolts come from under the truck. Then there is a thick washer on the bolt, but this is placed on the inside of the truck. When I checked under my truck I noticed that the four holes are threaded. So, the bolts thread up from underneath until bottomed out. The washer gets placed over the bolt threads that protrude inside the cab. Then the storage tray slips over the bolt and washer and is secured down with four nuts. Lastly, four plastic covers pop into place to conceal the hardware.

Here is the parts list:

IMG_1240.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

I placed the storage tray in the truck and pushed down with medium pressure so the four mounting feet of the storage tray would leave impressions in the carpet. I then cut out the four holes in the carpet.

I was able to get to the two holes under the truck on the passenger side, but the two on the driver side are above the gas tank with ZERO chance of getting to them (without dropping the gas tank). So, I installed the two on the passenger side and used a little ingenuity on the driver side. I cut off the heads of the bolts, notched out the other end, and threaded them in from the top using some red locktite.

Luckily I have a handy "hollow' Pittsburgh socket set that made the next part a breeze. I put a flat head screwdriver through the socket, extension, and ratchet to hold the stud from turning by placing it into the slot that I made. Boom, Bob's your uncle.

IMG_1247.jpeg

Crap... I can only load 5 images??????

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 2.... I guess

Continuing on, here is another shot of the hollow ratchet, extension, and socket:

IMG_1246.jpeg

Anywho, here it is all installed:

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

This is why I like having this plastic wall AND the storage tray. It prevents anything in that area from falling behind OR UNDER the storage tray.

IMG_1251.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, here is a picture so you can see the slot that I added to the end of the bolt....er... I should now call it a stud.

IMG_1244.jpeg

Digipax

Reaction score
Nicely written install guide, I did just the opposite and removed mine to make more room for the dogs to ride safely back there.

Its a shame that FORD only sells the rubber Mats as a 3 piece set.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nicely written install guide, I did just the opposite and removed mine to make more room for the dogs to ride safely back there.

Yeah it does suck that you can't just at least buy the fronts as a pair and the rear as a stand alone. Luckily I had a set from my trade in that had the under seat storage so I didn't have to buy a set to get the shorter rear one.

G8R-RPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’m looking at doing the same and hit the same roadblock lol.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. I want to do something like this as well, but the dogs gotta be able to have more roaming room with the seats up. I need to just do the basic plastic piece that closes off the driver side for ratchet straps and jumper cable sorta stuff. I miss the basic underseat storage my G2 had.

ziggy2022

Reaction score
So it's not like in the Super Duty where the underseat storage lays flat? I've ordered a '24 base Raptor. If the under seat storage doesn't fold flat that may be a deal breaker for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter