Noticeable ride difference between Extra and Super cabs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

What's Next?

Reaction score
I went and test drove a extra cab tonight and really liked the way it drove and handled. I went there with the intentions wanting the supercrew but they didn't have any. So my question is how do the 2 compare on and off road? Does the longer or shorter wheel base make a difference? I like the fact that the extra cab is 12 inches shorter.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a screw and like it but have never drove a scab. If you have kid's getting in and out of the back I recommend the screw. mid perch is a bit more ridged but not much.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I went out this weekend and someone that has a crew cab rode in a extra cab and commented how much more nimble to extra cab is. I have driven a crew on the street and it didn't feel the same as my extra cabs. If you don't need the extra space the crew offers and you liked the way the extra cab handled then you have your ride all picked out!!

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove an SCab and loved the ride but, wanted the rear seat room of the SCrew with plans for kids and stuff. Took a chance that the ride would be similar if not even better because of the longer wheelbase and slightly greater weight of the truck based on prior experience with other pickups, including earlier F-150s.

SCrews have slightly quicker steering (or at least, that's what I heard) so that steering "feels" the same or at least similar to that of the SCab. I wasn't at all disappointed with my decision to go with the SCrew as it relates to overall handling and ride quality. That said, if I were buying the truck exclusively as an off-road toy, I'd probably have gone with the SCab for the slightly tighter turning radius and better break-over angle. As of today, I've put 55,000 miles on my '11 SCrew since January 7 of last year and haven't regretted my decision at all. If you can live with the shorter wheelbase and cab of the SCab, go for it, you'll love it.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned both and love the feel of the shorter cab much better! Now to be fair, I only have 4200 miles on this truck and had 41k on the scab. I can tell you I do feel the extra weight of the 6.2L engine and the xtra cab...

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I owned a 2001 F150 screw for 10 years and went with a 2010 scab cause that's all they offered at the time.
I LOVE the scab, turning radius is amazing and you can definitely feel those extra 12" gone.
Yes it's a little tighter inside but we manage. I have 2 kids 5 and 7 and I've owned this for 3 years and wouldn't change anything.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, like others said they ride a lot different.

On Road:
Scab rides a tad smoother it seems, maybe due to the softer springs
Scab turning radius is RIDICULOUSLY tight for a large vehicle
Screw is more comfortable for back seat passengers

Off Road:
Screw handles whoop sections better, due to increased wheel base, more stable
Scab is much more fun, and easy to "slide" and flick around, due to the shorter wheelbase

In short, I would totally recommend the Scab, unless you "need" the extra back-seat room... then the screw is a no brainer!

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
also if you tow anything, the supercrew has an 8,000 lb tow capacity. The scab is only 6,000 or 6,500.

My 2000 HD drag truck with trailer is about 6,500-7,000 lbs, and after having a second 2000 HD truck to tow the matching "race" truck, with only having a 5,000 lb towing capacity, I had enough with trying to tow out of the capacity of the truck. I went with the screw primarily for the added towing capacity. And it tows oh so nice!

Added bonus was the extra interior space. The new scabs are pretty roomy in the back, especially compared to my 00 HD scabs, but the new screws are MASSIVE! It has been really nice not having to worry at all about trying to cram passengers in the back. Load up 5 adults with ease, and nobody has to gripe about being stuck in the back, because it's roomier than the front lol. And when kids eventually come, it'll easily fit little brats, with plenty of room so they won't be able to reach to even kick the front seats till they're old enough to know better lol.

And the screws have a 36 gallon tank, the scab is only 25 or 26 gallons. With as thirsty as the 6.2 is, and I hate having to stop for gas all the time, I absolutely love the 36 gallon capacity. I always get ~500 miles to a tank. It'd only be ~360 to a tank with a scab. Yeah it's more money to fill it, but it's less often, in the long run it's no different, I just prefer stopping less frequently and having an extra ~150 mile range.

Lastly, resale value! Screws account for around 80% of the orders. Of course all raptors will hold their value more than an equivalent regular f150, but screws are 4x's more popular than scabs, so it will be easier to sell if you ever do decide to get a newer one, or get something else. Up to you whether you prefer the more rare one, or the one that is more in demand. Personally the Raptor itself is rare enough, I went for the one with more towing capacity, more interior space, more fuel capacity, and more consumer demand. Just a few other things to think about!