No Rinse Wash & Shine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ernie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread revival for the nay-sayers...Optimum No Rinse

Could start a new thread but didn't because I'm going to respectfully disagree with the nay-sayers in this one. Met up with Brandon (Whisler) and Jeff (Panda) over the weekend, wanted to check out Brandon's sound system....noticed his Raptor was pretty clean, a lot cleaner than mine. Pi$$ed me off (just kidding Brandon). Was going to go home and ride, but decided to wash my Raptor (tux black, 2011).

Wasn't enough time for a full wash....what to do? Had some no-rinse products on the shelf for about 6 months, never used them because I became afraid of what it would do to the paint, esp. black.:badidea:...yes, I was a "nay-sayer". Threw caution to the wind, broke out the Optimum No Rinse....followed the directions, added a little more....about an ounce and a half to each of 2 buckets with 2 gal of water in each (this is 50% more product than the label on the bottle suggests)....one bucket for wash, the other to rinse the applicating towel. Had a few very soft, very thick microfiber towels to apply, some large waffle microfiber towels to dry. Took my time, careful application and removal (won't bore you with the details unless you put a gun to my head....essentially "glide" the towels back and forth......no circles, no rubbing).

Honestly, the results were amazing :shocked:, and I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to detailing. The next day (when the light was better....both by sunlight and by fluorescent lighting) I looked very carefully for signs of scratches, any other marks that could have resulted from the ONR wash.....did not really find anything:waytogo:. I'm now a converted nay-sayer, but I'm not saying that I'll convert any other hard-core nay-sayer. Like anything, there are a few caveats:
-like anything else, good product + bad technique = bad outcome. It's all in the technique!
-as other posters noted, I would not use this product on a very dirty vehicle...it's more of a maintenance-type product than anything else. For example, I would never use a Quick Detailing spray (where you might use this type of product) to do an entire vehicle. I would use a no-rinse product in these situations and perhaps in situations where the truck was a little dirtier than where I would use a QD spray)
-the vehicle should have a good base coat of some type of protectant (wax, acrylic, other polymer). As I said, this is a "maintenance" product. [For example, my truck had 3 layers of Klasse All-in-one followed by 2 applications of Blackfire Wet Diamond...all applied about 2 months ago...for you folks who spend your $$$ frivolously on this kind of stuff like I do!).

So, if you're on the fence and your Raptor is not too dirty, don't be afraid to give ONR a try. If I can use is successfully on a tux black Raptor, anyone can do this [and, if you're still worried about scratching your Raptor, pm me....not that I'm an expert at this, 'cause I'm not.....and I can give you a few suggestions that helped me].

And, if you're still a nay-sayer.....that's cool, whatever you're comfortable with and works for you :peace:

ernie

PS: Jeff, Brandon, great meeting you guys over the weekend (and Jeff, thanks for the coffee!)

lathrash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using ONR for a while (started using it with my last car) and love the stuff. I use it on my motorcycle too. As long as your car (or truck) isn't really dirty and you follow the proper techniques (as ernie said), it works great, especially if you already have a nice wax or sealant applied already.

SHOOTER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I also have to say I would NEVER use this kind of stuff on a black vehicle. Every little swirl shows there...

I think I would disagree and say its PERFECT for black vehicles.

avoid spray cleaners and waterless car washes at all costs. water is the key to a scratch free wash.

Agree and disagree, This stuff uses a ton of water for the rinse portion and multiple rag rinses.

I've been using ONR for a while (started using it with my last car) and love the stuff. I use it on my motorcycle too. As long as your car (or truck) isn't really dirty and you follow the proper techniques (as ernie said), it works great, especially if you already have a nice wax or sealant applied already.

VERY true, you need to follow the proper techniques. The Factory Five forum I'm also on has a very detailed guideline and procedure for using ONR. The key is the right equipment (proper microfiber rags, bucket with dirt catch, etc) and the proper technique (not too muddy, wash off major stuff before using, multiple rags, good buffing). I've only used this stuff on my FFR Roadster and it makes it SHINE. No buff marks, no swirls in the paint under sun, etc. The rags make a world of difference too, the cheapo microfiber ones from Wallyworld can still scratch your surface. The trick is to buy good ones, and test them on a CD. If they scratch a CD...they'll scratch your clearcoat.

Here's the detailed post on FFCars.com. I've spent hours reading up on this and have first hand knowledge. I'm not sure if the link will work or not if your are not a member. If not, I can try to copy/paste the key parts and post them separate.

How to properly wash a cobra - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Bottomline: I trust this stuff on my hobby/show car with multiple layers of clear coat. Why not this truck?

SHOOTER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washed my black truck this weekend for the first time, using ONR. I blasted the big stuff off at a drive in car wash, then went home to perform the ONR procedure. Took me about an hour, 3 wash rags and 3 buff rags...TURNED OUT AWESOME. Since you wash a panel at at time, you can take your time and ensure a quality wash with no mars/scratches. Great stuff.

Attachments

• 100_3380.jpg
    100_3380.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 57

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ditto to what Shooter said, I borrowed some from my neighbor (black F-150) and used it on my black Raptor.....turned out looking great!

I just ordered some for myself this morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc