Nitto Trail Grappler vs Toyo Open Country MT's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One area not mentioned where you will notice a difference is running hard on sharp rocks. The Toyo's (well at least they used to) will wear like iron and resist chunking better than the Nittos.

I've been reading though that sometime last year they changed the compound in the Toyos and they're not what they used to be.

I saw plenty of trashed Toyos at TRR this year, Rich.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say at havoc last year I personally saw the toyos hold up better then anything else. That's why I went with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I saw plenty of trashed Toyos at TRR this year, Rich.

That's why I included the "used to" part. I think you were seeing the new Toyos (like Peter's). You need to see mine. Three Raptor Runs and 20K miles, including a lot of gravel roads, and they look fricken awesome for that kind of abuse. There's a pic I threw up here somewhere about a month ago...

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich, your Toyos look untouched and for the abuse, appear to be holding up almost perfectly. Peters on the other hand were pretty trashed.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to back the post by the guy that said they're same company. Toyo does own Nitto. The Trail Grappler and Toyo M/T essentially use the same rubber compounds, have the same weight ratings and weigh the same in most cases. They do have different tread designs that may benefit one vs the other, off road vs on road, loud vs quiet. But can't go wrong with either IMO outside of the fact that they're both pretty heavy. I'd say it comes down to your personal opinion... looks and price point
98gdxt.jpg
ka19io.jpg
mhemaf.jpg[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

hottytoddy14

Reaction score
Have ran Toyo M/T's on all of my vehicles and I doubt I will ever change. Also have around 42K on mine now with about 20% tread left.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been running the Trail Graps since my Silverado days. I'll never run another tire. Heavy and loud but damn they're near indestructible!!! I've done some agressive stuff in And haven't had a flat. Only issue I've ever had was trouble getting them balanced. Oh and in running. 37/12.5/17 which is EXPENSIVE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That's why I included the "used to" part. I think you were seeing the new Toyos (like Peter's). You need to see mine. Three Raptor Runs and 20K miles, including a lot of gravel roads, and they look fricken awesome for that kind of abuse. There's a pic I threw up here somewhere about a month ago...

Pft...you don't drive hard, Rich :wizlick:

Just to back the post by the guy that said they're same company. Toyo does own Nitto. The Trail Grappler and Toyo M/T essentially use the same rubber compounds, have the same weight ratings and weigh the same in most cases. They do have different tread designs that may benefit one vs the other, off road vs on road, loud vs quiet. But can't go wrong with either IMO outside of the fact that they're both pretty heavy. I'd say it comes down to your personal opinion... looks and price point
98gdxt.jpg
ka19io.jpg
mhemaf.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to disagree with you on saying they're essentially the same rubber compounds. Having owned both, they drive quite differently and across the board, Toyo usually weighs more than Nitto.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with you on saying they're essentially the same rubber compounds. Having owned both, they drive quite differently and across the board, Toyo usually weighs more than Nitto.

I sell both brands. I have noticed in the last year or so that the Toyo's stopped lasting as long as they used to. But my Nitto rep was the one that gave me the info. From what I've seen though, the weight is the same on 90% of them.