New raptor ditching leaf springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattyz99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came across this on YouTube

Looks like the new raptor, not sure when, is ditching the leaf springs and most likely going with coil overs in the rear probably like what’s on the ranger raptor now.

Makes me question spending the money on new leaf springs and rear suspension upgrades or just trading up?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah there are already threads on this. My guess is that they are just using the current raptor as the test mule for the coil spring rear end but that the next gen F150 will move to coils entirely - meaning so will the next gen raptor.

Last edited:

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will leave Chevy as the only Big 3 full size truck still running leaf springs.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw a current gen (P552) test mule driving around SE Michigan with flaps fabricated to cover the rear suspension. It appears they're in the process of developing a coil spring suspension for the next-gen F-150 (2021) to compete with RAM. The main benefits of coil springs are ride quality and axle control. Since coils require control arms, pinion deflection is minimized. This isn't much of an issue on the Raptor with it's short wheelbase truck with a 1 piece driveshaft; however, on long wheelbase trucks with multi-piece driveshafts and higher tow ratings, changes in pinion angle under heavy acceleration, especially when towing, can result in a momentary driveline shudder. The control arms maintain pinion angle under all conditions, which eliminates shudder concerns.

FILRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad any factory set-up will likely be a compromise when the green eyeshade crew gets done.