GEN 2 New Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forums and greatly appreciate all of the knowledge I've spent hours scanning through to date :D.

Almost time to replace my stock K02 tires on my 2018 Raptor (28,000 miles). I was looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3s, then noticed that they may have recently released a new AT - the Baja Boss A/T.

I'm curious if anyone is running these yet, and for feedback, insight, etc. Any helpful info that you can provide is great.

For additional context, I have done a bunch of research on the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, Wrangler Duratracs, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Toyo Open Countries, and these Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs seem to be my favorite so far.

Thank you in advance!

Have seen 2 people with Raptors that managed to get ahold of some Baja Boss A/Ts on IG/Clown Book & waiting to see what they think of them.

Nobody in my area has Baja Boss A/Ts & can’t even special order them yet at a couple tire shops

Would like to see how they do in snow/ice from light snow & black ice to deep heavy wet snow, but that kind of independent reports won’t be for a year or more

I’ve got 42k miles on the stock BFG K02’s and will be putting about 6k more miles on them this summer & thus needing new tires before winter hits & the Baja Boss A/Ts are high on my tire list

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have seen 2 people with Raptors that managed to get ahold of some Baja Boss A/Ts on IG/Clown Book & waiting to see what they think of them.

Nobody in my area has Baja Boss A/Ts & can’t even special order them yet at a couple tire shops

Would like to see how they do in snow/ice from light snow & black ice to deep heavy wet snow, but that kind of independent reports won’t be for a year or more

I’ve got 42k miles on the stock BFG K02’s and will be putting about 6k more miles on them this summer & thus needing new tires before winter hits & the Baja Boss A/Ts are high on my tire list
I can tell you exactly how they’ll do on in regular light snow/black ice/slush on normal streets/roads- horribly, ******, subpar, mediocre or flat out crappy lol- this is all compared to a winter tire like nokian Hakkas or blizzaks, I -‘always feel the need to call people out on this, all an AT or an MT is in those conditions is a compromise, that’s it. Same as an all season or highway based “AT” like the Michelin LTX/AT2......actually they’d probably perform better than the BFG or Baja boss’ in the snow (btw - how much snow do they get in Baja? Bajajajjajajajjhhahahhaha)

an MT or AT tire will Perform about as good on packed snow/ice relative to a dedicated snow re as they would @ the drag strip vs a DR or slicks bahahaha

add in the fact that the raptor has the widest factory tires of any truck....& you’ll come to the conclusion that the only tire that’ll be “GOOD” in winter conditions on the raptor would be a dedicated snow

I run the Nokian Hakkas studded & drive “as if” there is no snow. On or offroad.

take that fwiw

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you exactly how they’ll do on in regular light snow/black ice/slush on normal streets/roads- horribly, ******, subpar, mediocre or flat out crappy lol- this is all compared to a winter tire like nokian Hakkas or blizzaks, I -‘always feel the need to call people out on this, all an AT or an MT is in those conditions is a compromise, that’s it. Same as an all season or highway based “AT” like the Michelin LTX/AT2......actually they’d probably perform better than the BFG or Baja boss’ in the snow (btw - how much snow do they get in Baja? Bajajajjajajajjhhahahhaha)

an MT or AT tire will Perform about as good on packed snow/ice relative to a dedicated snow re as they would @ the drag strip vs a DR or slicks bahahaha

add in the fact that the raptor has the widest factory tires of any truck....& you’ll come to the conclusion that the only tire that’ll be “GOOD” in winter conditions on the raptor would be a dedicated snow

I run the Nokian Hakkas studded & drive “as if” there is no snow. On or offroad.

take that fwiw
No way, serious

Why do you think they are called all terrain & Mud and not winter tires, could it be they are not dedicated winter tires????

Try running your dedicated winter tires in Moab, on the highway at 90* for 1k miles and see what’s left of them

Hell, you can’t even run the Rimrocker with dedicated winter tires without destroying them now can ya?????

But hey, you keep running your bad assed dedicated winter tires year round & the rest of us will run tires we know work better year round in all weather, road and terrain

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No way, serious

Why do you think they are called all terrain & Mud and not winter tires, could it be they are not dedicated winter tires????

Try running your dedicated winter tires in Moab, on the highway at 90* for 1k miles and see what’s left of them

Hell, you can’t even run the Rimrocker with dedicated winter tires without destroying them now can ya?????

But hey, you keep running your bad assed dedicated winter tires year round & the rest of us will run tires we know work better year round in all weather, road and terrain

nah I don’t run em year round, cuz they would disintegrate in a summers worth of driving (although would be damn sticky for a short clip I’m sure) my point is do NOT expect an AT or certainly no MT to be anything special or even “average to adequate” in real winter conditions compared to a proper studded snow tire.

so I truly don’t understand why everyone even bothers asking

it’s always going to be a compromise, sometimes a real big one depending on the tire

buy winter tires ONE time....depending where you live can get up to 4-6 seasons out of them, & then 8 months outta the year run the most obnoxious gigantic knobby loud aggressive looking MT or AT you’d like, get more life outta that set than you would normally anyhow, & actually have the truck perform very well in both seasons

it’s bizarre- so many damn tire threads from guys w/ $70-90k trucks & mod $$$ to burn (apparently) & suggest running a proper winter tire in the winter (blasphemy!) on an awesome 4x4 offroad platform making it Uber capable & nobody wants to hear it.

If I’m being completely honest- I’m addicted to driving 4x4 trucks on studded snow tires now that I’ve been doing it going on 4 trucks in a row, like I said - I literally drive “as if” there is no winter conditions - particularly on road- other than avoiding the white knuckled FWD drivers & the inexplicably confident AWD/4x4 drivers on “all seasons” that often times wind up in a ditch

can you get up & go fine in winter weather w/ a 4x4 truck? Sure. You can get yourself moving even if you’re running Mickey Thomson ET streets hahahaha- but whether those or Baja boss’- you ain’t gonna be stopping, or cornering, or handling very well in the snow.

I don’t hit my 9 iron off a par 5 tee, & I don’t run MTs on black ice

Right tool for the job and all that

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah I don’t run em year round, cuz they would disintegrate in a summers worth of driving (although would be damn sticky for a short clip I’m sure) my point is do NOT expect an AT or certainly no MT to be anything special or even “average to adequate” in real winter conditions compared to a proper studded snow tire.

it’s always going to be a compromise, sometimes a real big one depending on the tire

buy winter tires ONE time....depending where you live can get up to 4-6 seasons out of them, & then 8 months outta the year run the most obnoxious gigantic knobby loud aggressive looking MT or AT you’d like, get more life outta that set than you would normally anyhow, & actually have the truck perform very well in both seasons

it’s bizarre- so many damn tire threads from guys w/ $70-90k trucks & mod $$$ to burn (apparently) & suggest running a proper winter tire in the winter (blasphemy!) on an awesome 4x4 offroad platform making it Uber capable & nobody wants to hear it.

If I’m being completely honest- I’m addicted to driving 4x4 trucks on studded snow tires now that I’ve been doing it going on 4 trucks in a row, like I said - I literally drive “as if” there is no winter conditions - particularly on road- other than avoiding the white knuckled FWD drivers & the inexplicably confident AWD/4x4 drivers on “all seasons” that often times wind up in a ditch

can you get up & go fine in winter weather w/ a 4x4 truck? Sure. You can get yourself moving even if you’re running Mickey Thomson ET streets hahahaha- but whether those or Baja boss’- you ain’t gonna be stopping, or cornering, or handling very well in the snow.

Obviously you miss the entire point of what a MT, AT or Hybrid tire is for & have no idea that not everybody wants or even needs a dedicated studded snow tire

Hell, I have in laws in several areas of Canada that get a metric shot ton of snow and they do not run stidddd winter tires or even winter tires, but plain old fashioned AT or all season tires.

But then again, they know how to drive on snow and do not need studded winter tires as a crutch

You still have zero idea what the MT Baja Boss AT’s will be like in snow and ice

All you are doing is talking out your ass, making up assumptions and pretending to know what you are talking about.

Nobody needs dedicated studded winter tires stateside, and using them & bragging about how great of a driver you are just shows you use them as a crutch & making up shit as you do not know how to drive, not to mention that studded tires are illegal in many state's, but why let the laws play into anything

Nobody but MT knows how they preform in the winter, we will know more this time next year about winter performance & can assume they will be decent due to the 3 snow peak rating (do you even understand what this is or what it means)

Till then, keep on playing bad ass while making up shit and talking out your 3rd point of contact

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Or, just move to a place with a climate where humans were meant to live and never have to buy winter tires again. Better riding season, better 4x4 season, better deer season, better wabbit season, better duck season... better every season. :p
You know what a golf course is? A horrible waste of real estate that would’ve been a great rifle range. 9 iron... pfft.

All you are doing is talking out your ***, making up assumptions and pretending to know what you are talking about.
I think he’s made a few legit comparisons to illustrate the point. Tires are compromises. We don’t run slicks on the street, lest we end up in the weeds when it rains hard enough. We shouldn’t run winter tires year round. KO2’s are great all around tires for the Rap but a decent MT will absolutely handle muddy conditions with much greater effect. But on the street you’re sacrificing wet weather performance and at least some dry traction, as well as handling. big tire cleats don’t take too well to repeated, high g force side loading on pavement.
Nobody needs dedicated studded winter tires stateside, and using them & bragging about how great of a driver you are just shows you use them as a crutch & making up shit as you do not know how to drive, not to mention that studded tires are illegal in many state's, but why let the laws play into anything

Maybe I should raise my hand? snow has my number. I’ve done track days, ride bikes, been to driving schools, do pretty well in the rain but despite multiple engagements in all manner of snow, I just do my best to avoid it and if I have to drive it, I don’t like it. If I were imprisoned ... err.. had to live in a state with hateful winters, I’d actually consider dedicated snow tires, but the math just doesn’t add up for me.

Still, I’m just wondering what’s the big deal here?

No, no, no. It’s HERESY to suggest running a proper winter tire, not blasphemy. Jayzuss. but then... what to expect from someone using a 9 iron and not a 9 mil :p