New black lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey if a thief wants something, silly splined lug nuts arent gonna stop em! They can be taken off just as fast as normal ones all you need is a 12pt socket just barely smaller and hammer it on. Ask me how I know this ;)

also, preaching to the choir about preventing theives. my $15,000 snowmobile was stolen. form behind a 8' tall fence through a gate with 2 large locks, and from inside a shed with a large lock.

Locks/preventative things like locking lug nuts don't do jack for someone who intends on stealing. Like i've always heard, locks only keep honest people out.

I agree that any lug, including the locking kind, can be taken off but you are not going to come with 20+ sockets of the same size to hammer on to a full set of lugs. I have used this method on a lost key lug and you are not going to get that socket off those lugs after you beat the shit out of to get it on much less not wake up the atack shihtzu!

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've done it. it's not hard lol. I used one socket to take off all 4 locking lugs on my truck after I lost the key, could have done them al lif they were all locking lugs in under 10 minutes. super simple if you know what you're doing, and thieves know what they're doing. Locking lugs arent gonna stop em.

but to each their own.

SJRaptorG2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 lugs of number 2/3 and 4 lugs of number 1. If every lug is a true lock you'll have issues with the key quickly. Especially if an impact gun is used.

FYI the new truck should be 14x1.5 now. At least if it's using the same lugs as the 15+ F150's

I contacted Gorilla Auto and asked if the Gorilla Automotive 76604NBC Black 14mm x 2.00 fit the 2017 Ford F150 Raptor? And If not can they please send me the part #.

Their response is:

“Thanks for getting in touch.

That part number would not be correct for the new 2017 Raptor. For the
factory wheels I would recommend part number 76644NBC, which is a 2" long Duplex wheel lock System.

We also make a "factory style" wheel lock that matches the OEM lugs, but is not currently sold in a 24 pack. I can give you some options for purchasing those locks (part number 96643BDX 20-pack/96641BDX 4-pack) if you would like. They would need to be special ordered through a retailer "keyed alike" so that they match.

Thank you,”

Jon Collier
National Sales Manager

Gorilla Automotive
2011 East 49th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90058
(323) 585-2852

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably because I'm on the coast, but my Gorilla lugs are all corroded and rusty after only 1 year of use. I spoke to them at SEMA earlier this month and explained how corroded they were and they did say they would look at them under warranty, but it was sort of like pulling teeth to get them to agree to look at them under warranty since it was right at 1 year of use. Also I'd need to send photos and the actual lug nuts to them on my dime.

On the other hand, I also spoke to www.mcgard.com and they offer a lifetime warranty and noted they do all their own triple plating in-house that has to meet strict standards, and any black coating goes on above and beyond the regular triple chrome plating. If I get another set I'll be giving McGard a try.

Last edited:

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've done it. it's not hard lol. I used one socket to take off all 4 locking lugs on my truck after I lost the key, could have done them al lif they were all locking lugs in under 10 minutes. super simple if you know what you're doing, and thieves know what they're doing. Locking lugs arent gonna stop em.

but to each their own.

I agree, standard ones aren't very tough. Hell, they even sell lock removal kits. The only ones that might be a deterrent would be Gorlla's spinning sleeve locking lugs. They don't come in black from what I understand but the only way I've seen them removed is by welding a nut on to the center portion that doesn't spin. Or if you could rip the sleeve off. Either way they're more of a chore than standard locks.

Attachments

• 61641.jpg
    61641.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 77

DROPOUT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably because I'm on the coast, but my Gorilla lugs are all corroded and rusty after only 1 year of use. I spoke to them at SEMA earlier this month and explained how corroded they were and they did say they would look at them under warranty, but it was sort of like pulling teeth to get them to agree to look at them under warranty since it was right at 1 year of use. Also I'd need to send photos and the actual lug nuts to them on my dime.

On the other hand, I also spoke to Home and they offer a lifetime warranty and noted they do all their own triple plating in-house that has to meet strict standards, and any black coating goes on above and beyond the regular triple chrome plating. If I get another set I'll be giving McGard a try.

Doesn't look like they make black for our applications, and good God, they are expensive.

Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Lock Set (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Locks and 1 Key

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is stealing wheels still a thing? I don't know of anyone who's ever had wheels stolen off their vehicle. Stealing wheels off someone's truck is likely to get your ass shot around here...

SOAKINRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 Raptor

I agree, standard ones aren't very tough. Hell, they even sell lock removal kits. The only ones that might be a deterrent would be Gorlla's spinning sleeve locking lugs. They don't come in black from what I understand but the only way I've seen them removed is by welding a nut on to the center portion that doesn't spin. Or if you could rip the sleeve off. Either way they're more of a chore than standard locks.

I plan on running Method MR310 Con 6, I know i need 14m x 1.5, but whay length would i need, also can you get McGard?

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I don't know if it will work on the Gen 2 yet but for all the chevy guys we us a short spline (1.38" tall opposed to 2" tall) and they look so much better. Gen 1 guys have never had this option since the 14x2.0 was never offered short. If the shorts don't fit it'll be the standard 2" tall like all of the Gen 1 trucks had to use.

We don't sell McGard. We actually got away from most locks in general. I was only posting above based on previous experiences.