New Battery Time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remote Lock and start stopped working a couple of days ago. Thought it was related to the update I got OTA. Put a tester on it and got this.

Maybe a good drive will get it back? I generally only drive it on the weekends and during the week I need to move it so my wife can go to work.
IMG_1665.jpeg

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer said battery is fine and that I just need to drive it more and for longer to get it back up. That or get a battery charger / tender and plug it in on the days I just move it back and forth.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drove around a bit, got it to 82%. It's on the charger now.

Remote Lock and start from the App still don't work. Thinking it is the update I got a couple of days ago.

At least I know my battery is ok.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I had the CCA wrong at 500. I changed it to 800 and got 75% battery heath and 75% charge after being on the charger for a couple of hours. I think it's due for a new battery.

Truck was bought in June of 2023 with a feb 2023 build date.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
So I had the CCA wrong at 500. I changed it to 800 and got 75% battery heath and 75% charge after being on the charger for a couple of hours. I think it's due for a new battery.

Truck was bought in June of 2023 with a feb 2023 build date.
A charger or tender? I get a low battery notice on the dash every now and then when I turn the truck off, but hasn't caused any problems and I drive it just about every day. I don't use the app though.

On my '18 I disabled the auto engine stop/start, which I believe also disables the smart charging of the battery. Original battery lasted 4 years before it started cranking a little slower, so I replaced it.

I might see about disabling the smart charge on the '22.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a charger / tender. It charges to full and then switches to a trickle. My truck doesn't have the stop/start.

I talked to my SA yesterday and she said to bring it in as it sounds like a new battery is needed but they need the tech to verify it so heading over there this morning. Oddly enough, the remote lock and start started to work again last night. who knows.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Battery was tested bad by ford. Replaced under warranty.
After my experiences with my Gen 3 battery and reading all of these posts, once I hit my 3/36 I am buying a new aftermarket battery. Coming from the crappy electronics of Jeep, I’ve seen weird stuff happen to vehicles when the battery isn’t strong enough.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After my experiences with my Gen 3 battery and reading all of these posts, once I hit my 3/36 I am buying a new aftermarket battery. Coming from the crappy electronics of Jeep, I’ve seen weird stuff happen to vehicles when the battery isn’t strong enough.
I was going to replace it with an H8 but I figured like you, let Ford deal with it until the warranty runs out or I sell it.

I did notice this battery seems upgraded from the one it came with so maybe it was a bad batch or something else.

I do need to own up to the fact that it's most likely my fault the battery failed.
I work 100% from home and my wife drives into work. M-F I turn it on, move it 20 feet, move it back and turn it off so she can leave. I do that twice a week and the rest of my trips are local and under 15min usually.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to replace it with an H8 but I figured like you, let Ford deal with it until the warranty runs out or I sell it.

I did notice this battery seems upgraded from the one it came with so maybe it was a bad batch or something else.

I do need to own up to the fact that it's most likely my fault the battery failed.
I work 100% from home and my wife drives into work. M-F I turn it on, move it 20 feet, move it back and turn it off so she can leave. I do that twice a week and the rest of my trips are local and under 15min usually.
Even if that's the case, a high-quality AGM battery would have no problem keeping up with your driving patterns. Can you post a pic of the newer style battery?