Need to design a bed rack to include THIS...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Haha, cooler AND serving bar! That'd rock for camping.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the idea, but in looking at that thing I don't think there's any way in the world it would survive one of our DV or Mojave Road weekends. I'll betcha it would tear itself apart.

On the other hand, this...

10800472_A.jpg

ARB Fridge Freezer 37 Qt (10800352)

... I think would do quite well.

And, huh, would you look at that... the dimensions just so happen to work with my ADD custom bed rack, in place of the already excellent Yeti cooler! Must just be lucky, I guess ;)

e.jpg

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so who has the best method to keep beer intact in the cooler while mashing out in the desert? My thought is to keep the the beer in the box and load the cooler with tons of ice to keep the sloshing effect at bay.

OP
OP
vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the idea, but in looking at that thing I don't think there's any way in the world it would survive one of our DV or Mojave Road weekends. I'll betcha it would tear itself apart.

On the other hand, this...

10800472_A.jpg

ARB Fridge Freezer 37 Qt (10800352)

... I think would do quite well.

And, huh, would you look at that... the dimensions just so happen to work with my ADD custom bed rack, in place of the already excellent Yeti cooler! Must just be lucky, I guess ;)

e.jpg

That ARB one is cool too! I think it would just be really useful, especially on the camping trips you talk about were you camp-out after wheeling all day. Plus, less ice taking up room in the cooler means more beer to carry. :favorites13:

Okay, so who has the best method to keep beer intact in the cooler while mashing out in the desert? My thought is to keep the the beer in the box and load the cooler with tons of ice to keep the sloshing effect at bay.

That sounds like a good idea, I take it this is you method? I'm sure the placement of the cooler in the bed would play into the equation too, right? Because hanging out back by the tailgate is like a whipping affect, where as if it was tucked up behind the cab it was be subject to less whipping? Just thinking out loud.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. A paper box + icy water = one gross mess.

If your cooler can handle it, I'm thinking a block of dry ice (in its rack) with the beverages covering the bottom of the cooler. I would fill any dead space with closed cell foam (you know the stuff? Can be had at any crafts store for a dollar or two per square foot). You could even cover the tops of the cans with a piece of the foam, and now you've got a platform for food or even more beverages.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

That sounds like a good idea, I take it this is you method? I'm sure the placement of the cooler in the bed would play into the equation too, right? Because hanging out back by the tailgate is like a whipping affect, where as if it was tucked up behind the cab it was be subject to less whipping? Just thinking out loud.
That's a really good point. Again this is where dry ice would save the day, and where an investment in a cooler than can handle it really makes sense. No slosh, no whip and freezer cold stuffs (just don't over do it! The first time out with my Yeti I used two blocks of dry ice... *everything* in the cooler was frozen solid within hours. :shocked:)

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't think of the soggy box dilemma. The foam sounds like a good idea...will have to give it a shot. And yeah, my cooler is in the back of the bed too so it'll definitely be taking a beating.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm Thinking of making a block of foam cutout to fit my yeti that would hold can snug in individual holes. Wouldn't be hard to make and the yeti is durable enough to handle offroad abuse, and keeps ice for amazing amounts of time.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Ok here's my plan. I'm gonna use high density foam, similar to a pool float like this: Spongex Monterey Swimming Pool Float - Walmart.com Then I wil cut it into blocks half the length of my yeti (im thinking half the length so I can put them in the freezer to cool the beer down). I'll stack them a few layers thick and cut out holes for the beer to sit in. Probably do it this weekend, will let you know how it goes.