My Thoughts On DDM Tuning...PURE CRAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
First off, I've purchased from DDM several times over the years... Most notably was on my old 05 GTO... Ordered 55w 5000K for lows, 35w 5000K HIDs for fogs. Upon installing, not only did I have a bad ballast, but the color temps in the low vs fogs were not even close. After getting a 6000K, them claiming 55w washes out the light, still left and right color temps were different. Got another set of bulbs. All this had to be done with me spending more $ to get more bulbs because I didn't want to uninstall them while waiting on new other bulbs. Huge headache. About a year later, my lows just go out, luckily close to house... It MELTED the fuse inside the fuse holder, WTF??

My brother got some H4 4300K from them for his 79 vette he restored.... while they worked, the bulbs shake... you can visually see it, he thinks it due to cam in it but it's bad...

now for raptor... Took 19 freaking days to get them in the mail from day ordered, drop shipped from China. 55w 4300K kit. First thing I did was solder in new fuse holder to be safe. Got them and installed, had to modify the H13 harness they come with, wouldn't reach to driver's side. No biggie, though just took time. Finally turned them on, had light!!! Let the bulbs burn in and waited till dark to adjust them to do my best not to blind people (best i can anyways). Come to find out, damn bulbs are different color temps! Also the passenger side had some weird light pattern as well, never could adjust them level due to it. 1 week of messaging DDM of cause, they said they'd ship new bulb, swear it won't take 19 days to receive.... but wouldnt' do it till I sent picture of the wires cut on the bad bulb. Luckily for me, I already had ordered a new set of 4300K bulb (random place on ebay, $26 shipped with solenoids) so I don't have to do this whole damn game of replace and hope they match and work fine. I sent pic of DDM cut wires, still waiting for them to ship. Also the ebay bulbs have more depth, solenoid I guess is bigger.

Installed other set of H13 bulbs and DAMN, color is exactly what I expect no stray lights on one side and I could adjust them perfectly level and so far no one has flashed me, yet. Not only that, these bulbs put out 2x more light than the DDM bulbs, pretty unreal. I'll never buy from DDM again!!!!

For all the HID stock housing haters, no worries... I have a set of 2013 black housings on way, $150 each. I don't think the wiring will be an issue, I'll figure it out. I "think" I figured it all out and have under $500 invested, but we shall see. I have some D2S bulbs on way which should fit the stock D3S bulb sockets in lights.

DDM different color bulbs:
20130121_063421.jpg

New H13 4300K bulbs:
20130125_210450.jpg

New H13 4300K bulbs with 20" amber Rigid bar on
20130125_210519.jpg

For reference, GTO with 55w 5000K and 35w 5000K, I swear those are HIDs in lows!!!
IMAG0138.jpg

Melted fuse
MeltedFuseHolder3.jpg
MeltedFuse1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
too much current for that tiny wire.

WAY too much, but took a year to blow. It was DDM relay harness I bought for GTO too, up until then I always made my own, never an issue. I always hook up relay for my HIDs for 4 wheels or 2 wheels, lot of people don't but IMO that's the only way to hook up HIDs.

Banned
Reaction score
thats why whenever i hear someone recommend DDM, i smack ******* and set them straight.

found a website a while ago with documents about orders from DDM, and where they get their bulbs. it explained why sometimes you will get two different colors. ill see if i can find the site.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just not a fan of the aftermarket HID kids. The "projector grade" quality Morimoto stuff that Dawson uses appears to be great quality. However, prior to my projector upgrade I purchased an H13 Morimoto kit from TRS. I too had similar issues with the bulbs - different colors and different beam patterns. Just the nature of the beast IMO.

Its a shame that the true, real deal Philips kits are not available in the US. A lot of sites sell knock offs but not the real things. They do appear to be great quality.

Banned
Reaction score
I've been telling people for years not to buy from DDM and they never listen...

Lol. Yup. Then a few months later they whine and bitch about how bad they are lmao. Perfect situation for a "I ******* told you so!" And the laughter.