My On and Off Road, Online and Offline GPS Solution. (The ongoing saga)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How big is that unit? For comparison purposes, here's what I did with my iPad....

Attachments

• Raptor174.jpg
    Raptor174.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 142
  • Raptor176.jpg
    Raptor176.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 146

Gus00SVTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked through this thread and just want to know are there any offroad apps I can use on an iPhone?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BigJ I've been seeing the galaxy tab 7 for around $200 at several places(Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with 8GB Memory GT-P3113TSYXAR - Best Buy)
have any opinions on it as an inexpensive option for off road navigation?will it work well or is there another tablet I should be looking at?
I think it would do fine if you don't try and ask it to do more than its designed to do. Namely, be vividly sunlight readable and handle extreme temps (like on the dash in direct sunlight, even).

Just looked through this thread and just want to know are there any offroad apps I can use on an iPhone?
Before switching to Android, I used and loved Topo Maps. In fact that app was the app by which I measured all Android apps, right up until BackCountry Navigator started doing more than the last version I used of Topo Maps could. I haven't checked in on it since (almost 2 years?) but even now I wouldn't hesitate to use it/go back to it if I started using an iOS device again.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am very happy with "MotionX GPS" on my iPhone and the HD version of the same on my iPad. They allow easy import/export of tracks and waypoints and allow easy caching of topo and satellite images for off-grid use.

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would do fine if you don't try and ask it to do more than its designed to do. Namely, be vividly sunlight readable and handle extreme temps (like on the dash in direct sunlight, even).

Before switching to Android, I used and loved Topo Maps. In fact that app was the app by which I measured all Android apps, right up until BackCountry Navigator started doing more than the last version I used of Topo Maps could. I haven't checked in on it since (almost 2 years?) but even now I wouldn't hesitate to use it/go back to it if I started using an iOS device again.

So the GPS chipset in the Galaxy tab would be suitable for offroad use untethered? I dont know much about phone and tablet gps systems and have been having difficulty finding specifics for this tablet online.

also I have been using a laptop with a Lowrance gps puck for navigation in my motorhome for the last few years and was hoping to use the tablet to replace this setup as well.